99 ron plus 97 ron equals?

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
This is one of those questions that has been bugging me for a long time now, but I feel that on this site, like the question about life on other planets? the answer has to be out there somewhere! :confused:

Scenario!
I have half a tank of Shell V 99 ron and need to top up the tank for a long journey; so I top with Esso super 97 ron as that is all that is available!

What happens to the fuel strength? does the car run on 98 ron as an average of the two combined?

Does the dominate fuel lead the way or is it weakened below the 97? :confused:

Am I alone in the quest for the answer to this perplexing puzzle?

Sort of.

It's not strength or dilution that matters.

Esso and Shell will possibly use very different additive packages so they're unlikely to complement each other. But the likely effect is that you'll get the equivalent of 98 RON.

The fuels will be compatible, no damage will be done,

Wondered this myself tbh. V-Power is my fuel of choice, but Shell are seldom found on motorway service stations, so you always get caught short on a long trip :(

They're not all that bad now ya know!

Some of 'em can even get to 60mph :)

Yeah - I know. My dads Freelander 2 is remapped and pumping out 190HP and 470Nm from a 2.2L engine. I've driven it loads and its a fab engine.

Just a shame it goes "clunk clunk clunk" :p

Yeah - I know. My dads Freelander 2 is remapped and pumping out 190HP and 470Nm from a 2.2L engine. I've driven it loads and its a fab engine.

Just a shame it goes "clunk clunk clunk" :p

Some 4s can be a bit like that, petrol or diesel. There's a lot to be said for six or more cylinders _ you know this though. kind rgds, P.