yOUR OPINION S PLEASE

tjay56

Torque Junkie
Car
corsavxracing
I currently drive a VAUXHALL CORSA VXRacing(1.6ltr turbo).The manufacturers recommend changing the oil every 20,000 miles.I had the oil changed at 1,000 miles to get rid of any muck in the engine.I'm just curious as to your thoughts on the recommended milage between oil changes.I plan on keeping the car for at least 4 years,so want to treat it with kid gloves.

If you plan to keep it four years or so then you can stick to the schedules safely. If any problems arise during that period then new car warranty will sort it all out.

The greater likelyhood of having engine oil related problems is more likely to raise its head when the car is getting older.

The makers like to advertise these long service intervals, it's good marketing policy and suits the fleet and contract lease markets very well.

20,000 is a bit long in my estimation, particularly with turbocharged engines, which do load the oil with high temperatures and other stresses.

With any turbocharged car it's very good practice to let the engine idle for a minute or two before pulling the key. This is worth more than you imagine.

If it were mine, which it isn't, and unlikely to be so because I'm not a great Vauxhall fan, I'd consider an interim change at 10,000 miles but using a good quality synthetic oil.

tbh if i was paying for a service each year by the dealer i would expect a oil/filter change no matter what the mileage!!
what sort of mileage do you do expect to do each year???

mines is the same book says 20k for an oil change but its done every 10k by the garage and i normally do it 10k my self. so really my changes are every 5k

I don't like the long life schedules, not just because it means we sell less, but it also leads to a lot of problems in older cars. You won't notice any problems due to the oil, until it's something like 5 or more years old and that's when the problems start happening

I don't like the long life schedules, not just because it means we sell less, but it also leads to a lot of problems in older cars. You won't notice any problems due to the oil, until it's something like 5 or more years old and that's when the problems start happening

Exactly, and that's the time it's well clear of any manufacturer responsiblity. Thus leaving the private owner high and dry yet stranded with a potentially large invoice or a car beyond economic repair.

I'm only swapping the oil in my recently acquired but ageing E39 because the last fill was with non-approved oil. Given the car was an emergency purchase anyway I can hardly afford [I cannot afford!!] the risk of an engine failure and subsequent cost of a rebuild.

12-15k is probably alright as a drain interval if your driving pattern isn't all start-stop, otherwise get it done sooner.

tbh if i was paying for a service each year by the dealer i would expect a oil/filter change no matter what the mileage!!
what sort of mileage do you do expect to do each year???

Will be expecting 15-20k/yr,so would expect to have the oil changed twice a year.1st oil change at 1k was MOBIL1,so should good for another 10k.You have to bear in mind that "er indoors" is the main driver,and she doesn't hang around.She asked what the bleeping noise was from the dash the other day.When i said she was speeding she denied it,but I knew she was because the bleeping was the speed reminder which is set at 90mph.:lol: