Will flying cars take off

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Ok so the thread title is probably as bad as puns go but do you think flying cars will be a realistic thing of the future?

I doubt we'll ever see cities like 5th element but I'm sure that flying cars will probably have a useful place and it will hopefully reduce congestion.

Very funny. They'll 'ave to [take off] in order to fly. I can't see it somehow - look how badly many people drive when only having to think in two dimensions. Chuck in the third one and that'll be it.

The tests will be a lot harder so only the attentive ones get to fly.

What worries me is the breakdowns, you could be stuck in the air for hours waiting for a recovery agent to arrive.;)

I do hope to see cars similar to those from Futurama or the Fifth Element in my life time but I think it's unlikely as well, I saw one of James May's programs a while ago where an American company were developing the driverless car and that was supposed to be the beginnings of the fully automated flying car but it's still a long way off, saying that though it will happen and it is only a matter of time,

Don't know what all the fuss is about? Francisco Scaramanga had one in The Man With The Golden Gun in 1974 :)

Well parking would be a doddle but you can be absolutely sure that the councils would soon start painting red and yellow lines in the sky.

Aircraft are more like flying trains. Or depending on what aircraft you look at, maybe a flying tank and more. But i couldn't say planes are flying cars.

Good point. I actually co-piloted one of these once. But i would say a 'flying car' as needs to be affordable and usable on a daily basis. The Cessna did come with hand free kit for both pilot and co-pilot as standard though. But you can't land it outside the postoffice.

That's likely to be the difficult bit - you're spot on.

Something with the manoeuverability of a Harrier and the running costs of a Corolla is a little way off yet.