Widening an alloy wheel?

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
My Hirsch sports wheels are 8 X 19" and currently have 245 x 19" tyres on them.
I was thinking of having much wider tyres and I do like the style of my current Saab wheels :amuse:

So my question is this; can the wheels be made bigger to accommodate a larger tyre and still be considered safe? I am thinking along the lines of a 305 tyre size.

If it is a split rim design then it can be done quite easily but I don't think you can just widen a wheel. Can you get similar wheels in a larger size, this is probably much easier. I think you can usually do a lot better than OEM wheels in terms of styling so I'm thinking that the Hirsch wheels are aftermarket ones?

If it is a split rim design then it can be done quite easily but I don't think you can just widen a wheel. Can you get similar wheels in a larger size, this is probably much easier. I think you can usually do a lot better than OEM wheels in terms of styling so I'm thinking that the Hirsch wheels are aftermarket ones?

The wheel is not of the split rim design i'm afraid, and only the one size of wheel is currently being made.

Will the factory do something on a custom basis for you?

Tried that, Although they are Swedish, I got the no speaky de english routine :sad2:

As said unless a split rim design you won't be able to. Even a much wider one must be checked thoroughly for stress analysis. Seen plenty of steel wheels banded as that's an age old trick. A wheel to suit your idea will be costly unless it can be made from a kit of parts.

As said unless a split rim design you won't be able to. Even a much wider one must be checked thoroughly for stress analysis. Seen plenty of steel wheels banded as that's an age old trick. A wheel to suit your idea will be costly unless it can be made from a kit of parts.

Banded!!! :embarrest: that's what I was thinking when I mentioned this. I remember such a technique from the old days but could not remember what it was called :embarrest:
I think I will try Hirsch again and try and bypass the first line of defence numpty's on the end of the phone. ;)

Tried that, Although they are Swedish, I got the no speaky de english routine :sad2:

Fnorpan's Swedish, I'm pretty sure she speaks it so why not ask her to have a chat and get you a contact inside the company?

I need the rep, been on here like for ever and still haven't got half the bars you guys have got! :( Thanks TurboN!)

Reactions: Loz