Why can't we cope with snow

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We all like to moan that britain can't cope with the snow but I think there are a lot of reasons for this and it is not always down to the local authorities.

Here are some of my suggestions and feel free to discuss them or add your own...

1) Drivers do not know how to drive in the snow and end up getting stuck causing delays to everyone else. Solution proper driving instruction with a part of the test devoted to the theory of driving in poor weather conditions. This also blocks the way for gritter lorries and snow ploughs.

2) Cars are not equipped. We do not use winter tyres or have snow socks or snow chains so effectively all the uk cars are prone to be immobile during heavy snow and ice.

3) Because of the previous 2 factors drivers are staying at home and the cumulative clearing effect of lots of cars on the road is not kicking in.

Poor driving skills plays a part here and knowledge. These are the worst conditions I've driven in yet I am still making journeys I need to. It just takes some common sense. If there is ice and snow don't drive like a moron. Drive at a speed that feels safe. If you don't feel like you have control then you don't.

I have to say that RWD is not a easy off the line as FWD. I have really struggled on occasions on very shallow inclines, yet other times it's taken off without hesitation on quite steep ones.

I find that hard black ice is easier because it remains bonded to the road surface - the soft slushy snow just clogs up the rear tyre treads.

Steering response is delightful though.

The hard reality is that a set of M+S tyres will make a massive difference and I think that's what I'm going to do. It's only a one-off outlay because when they're in use the summer tyres are in storage and no incurring any wear at all.

I dont think its the reason we cant cope, I think it comes more down to ''we dont want to cope'' with the snow. Everyone in the whole country wants a snow day. But we have just failed by about a foot each time to grind to a stand still.

An extra foot or so, and we will all be happy at home, watching topgear on dave, hoping it snows some more. :bigsmile:

poor driving skills
but then saying that i have been out when it has been snowing hard in the landrover and the better drivers seem to be the younger drivers
think they seem to be listening start off in 2nd gear ect
were the older drivers i know what to do i have been driving 190 years lol and the snow has never stopped me few hours later can you help i am stuck

and i think abs has a lot to answer for sometimes its best to skid it does slow you down a little bit my audi just keeps going and does not skid or stop lol

think if we had more of it every year we can do more things to help but it does seem to be getting wore every year

@ matt - agreed, not sure bout the older/younger thung but everything else. yes. as mad as it sounds, the more times we have snow the better people will learn to cope and get around without gridlock. the abs thing is funny, the harder i push the pedal the more it fights back, like a battle of wills.

dont think its entirely the local councils fault either.

WARNING :- BEWARE OF ICICLES ON GUTTERING AND EDGE OF ROOFS.

some poor person got critically injured in my local town yesterday. weight of the icicles and the snow in the guttering caused the gutter to fall and the icicles to hurt someone. if youve got em, get shot of em.

UPDATE : GUY IN QUESTION DIED IN HOSPITAL.
PLEASE BEAWARE OF ICICLES ON YOUR ROOFS AND GUTTERING.

Last edited:
Truth is the whole country is out of its depth when the snow comes. You can see this when visitors from countries who have this on a regular basis complain as they can cope, because they have the experience and tools at hand to deal with it. For us it is everything, driving skills, suitable tyres/chains, tools, clearing equipment, infrastructure and most of all mindset.

We can only improve over time as this is going to be a common occurance annually. Learn from it and we will learn to live with it and adapt.

only bad thing
is its pushing the price of landrovers up lol
good if your selling but i need a new one as i have trashed it
to much not caring what i hit when off road

will have to wait till spring to wait for the prices to drop

The only way to deal with it is to get out and drive in it. If you spend your days inside scared to drive in snow then you'll never learn how to.

The best tip for everyone is to be sensible and drive to your limits and abilities.

The only way to deal with it is to get out and drive in it. If you spend your days inside scared to drive in snow then you'll never learn how to.

The best tip for everyone is to be sensible and drive to your limits and abilities.

i second that motion !!!

BigBadJoe .....Lend us your car :lol:

I've loaded over 300 lbs of bagged gravel into the boot - pushed right forward so it's over the drive axle. Simply to get some straight line traction and it does help a lot. Much as I don't like the idea of adding weight because it can cause other handling issues it's only the same as having a couple of 10-11 stone rear seat passengers and frankly I've been struggling to get away uphill on the recent snow with an empty car.

I've loaded over 300 lbs of bagged gravel into the boot - pushed right forward so it's over the drive axle. Simply to get some straight line traction and it does help a lot. Much as I don't like the idea of adding weight because it can cause other handling issues it's only the same as having a couple of 10-11 stone rear seat passengers and frankly I've been struggling to get away uphill on the recent snow with an empty car.

You'll get used to it mate. This is the first full winter I'm driving my BMW as well. So far so good.

Lots of reason

Most people in the UK dont really know how to drive in the snow and consequently expect normal tyres to work on ice.
In japan, scandanavia ,US , etc ( thats anywhere where it snows a lot) it is normal practice to have 2 sets of wheels and change them when it snows.

People are happy to except tyres make a huge difference to handling in the dry ( or wet) but somehow imagine this becomes irrellevant when it snows.

Oh and the biggest problem isnt moving its stopping .

I've driven dozens and dozens of different cars since passing my basic test in 1987. Most have been FWDs, simply because there are far more FWDs around.

I have used many RWD cars but not in especially difficult conditions. They can be a bit fiddly in the current conditions as I have discovered, although I expected it to be a bit demanding it proved itself to be less of an issue than I expected. But still less able to get going uphill than a small FWD hatch.

Ballast in the boot is helping well. Ive placed it all over the drive axle not at the back of the boot - don't want a pendulum effect

Winter tyres are on my menu though.

Last edited:
I've driven dozens and dozens of different cars since passing my basic test in 1987. Most have been FWDs, simply because there are far more FWDs around.

I have used many RWD cars but not in especially difficult conditions. They can be a bit fiddly in the current conditions as I have discovered, although I expected it to be a bit demanding it proved itself to be less of an issue than I expected. But still less able to get going uphill than a small FWD hatch.

Ballast in the boot is helping well. Ive placed it all over the drive axle not at the back of the boot - don't want a pendulum effect

Winter tyres are on my menu though.

HDi, if you do buy those winter tyres soon, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the overall performance in the snow and on wet surfaces please! Starting to give this idea some serious thought now ;)

You might find it difficult getting winter tyres at present. A friend tried to get some for his soon to be delivered Yeti but no one had any.

Chevrolet Blazer 4WD - Smug mode is turned up to max :)

You might find it difficult getting winter tyres at present. A friend tried to get some for his soon to be delivered Yeti but no one had any.

Chevrolet Blazer 4WD - Smug mode is turned up to max :)

my dad has my old blazer and said it is very good put it in auto 4x4 and it has not slipped yet

Its pretty simple really the only bit that touches the road is the tyre.

So if you want more grip change them