Why can't Britain cope with the snow

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Why cant britain cope with a little bit of snow?

Roads, Railways and Airports are just not able to cope. People are being stranded in their cars, and sleeping in shops overnight.

Sweden get a little bit more snow than us, yet life continues normally.

There is also more snow on the way so look out and prepare an in car survival kit. (YOU HAVE NOW BEEN WARNED!)

simply because you dont get it often enough for people to be able tyo handle it.

sweden, norway etc normally struggle for a couple of days until they get used to it -winter tyres, snowchains etc then they are fine.

how much snow did the south actually get until a few years ago ?

speak for yourself
nerner.gif

(really need to save your photobucket account as a favourite rather than go through mine)

oive only spun once so far and that was this morning hit black ice.

There wasn't any problem in the 30s.

Jim Herriot and Granville went over the Dales to get to some do. Next day, Jim's looking at the road and the AA man says "Don't bother. No one's been over it for 3 days".

We do not design such weather conditions into our infrastructures.

Therefore we are ill-equipped to clear the roads, rails and airport runways whenh we get a decent coverage. We do not have the skillset either, we just learn from the previous snowfalls mistakes and copy them all over again!

Cars have changed, wider wheels and tyres these days means little grip, whereas years ago we had skinny wheels and tyres and therefore found some traction. Also those that had 4wd knew how to use them, today we see common 4x4s being driven around deep puddles!

Funny 'cos today I parked away from the other cars so I could play with the hand brake. Yes I'm a child. :lol:

In addition to what Stamford mentioned, another hurdle is that we have a fair weather infrastructure that has little or no contingency to deal with adverse conditions, the same roads always get flooded, there's never enough money to buy grit & the closure of one small road can bring a whole city to a stand still. The whole thing is a joke & it's all down to the country being in the hands of accountants & sadly it shows no sign of changing. :(

When I went to Finland a few years ago they have heated roads for the main carriage ways in certain parts. Its all powered by hot water which is heated from rubbish incinerators.

Last edited:
Why cant britain cope with a little bit of snow?

Roads, Railways and Airports are just not able to cope. People are being stranded in their cars, and sleeping in shops overnight.

Sweden get a little bit more snow than us, yet life continues normally.

There is also more snow on the way so look out and prepare an in car survival kit. (YOU HAVE NOW BEEN WARNED!)

I don't know why Britian can't handle snow, but I can assure you that their British Jaguar cars can, I have driven two different Jags in the snow and they are great in the snow, but then again the driver might have something to do with it.... ha ha ha.....