Where do you buy your alloys from?

Matt

hi guys, where do you normally buy your alloys from. I have seen alot in car shops and also halfords - is this a good place or somewhere to steer clear of? What size does everyone favour?

Re: What sort of alloys do you prefer?

Alright mate, have a look on here: http://www.potn.co.uk/alloy-wheels_c1.htm.

The size all depends on the car. You also need to consider the tires as well. For example I could fit 18s on my Civic, but 17s are a better option so I can keep the 40 profile and better ride quality.

What car are you buying for?

You get what you pay for. Ignore any "for show use only" as these will typically rust when wet. Online prices tend to be cheaper than shops but it is nice to see them up close first.

bout 1 set from halfords and 3 years later they were badlt buckeled but still felt fine to drive only cost £260 for the set with tyres so "you get what you pay for" apllied there
other set was bought from a mate of the wife who didnt want them had only done couple of hundred mile on a car,

size wise - i try to stay within a couple of inches of standard so the overall wheel size isnt much different

Hi prince, thanks for the link I will take a good look around there. Currently looking at some for a focus, I have never invested in any before and this is the first time I have started to look around. Well my first thought was straight for the 19s, but they are pretty big now that i have seen them up close. Do the alloys normally come with the tires on them, the thinner the profile the more often you have to change them i'm guessing?

@pgarner, how did they buckle?

@waynne, maybe I can take a look at some in the shops to get an idea then go online

Do you have any spinners, I remember someone pulling up next to me at the traffic lights and it was a weird sight to see what looked like his wheels still going round even though he was stationary, first time i'd seen them.

Last edited:
tyres depends on where you buy them from, some places sell them with tyres some dont.

the thinner profile means theres less flex in the sidewall so gives a harsher ride.
19" on a focus might be a bit big and might not fit without haveing the arches modified to take them.

they buckled due to them being cheaper alloy just hitting off potholes etc wasnt expectiting them to last but after going stright over a roundabout and smashing 3 out of 4 i was after a cheap set, honda wanted nearly £240 each (14") excluding vat and tyres. the ripspeed ones were £260 for all 4 inc tyres
have learnt alot since those days

Thanks for explaining, yes I agree i'm now thinking 17s or maybe 18s would be suitable. £240 each :shock: was that from a honda dealership, if you can get them from there? Is it true that not all alloys will fit every car, I mean i'm sure it not as straight forward as buying them and sticking them them on?

hey guys, completely off topic but after browsing through other posts and threads everyone here certainly knows what they are talking about, is it from a passion for cars you have developed your knowledge or do many work as mechanics? It sure is very cool :) Nearly every post I read I pick up something useful.

Last edited:
Yeah that was from a honda dealership that was the 1st of only 2 trips to then second was for a service that they then told me the car would fail its MOT on bushes, back box and all four tyres - granted back box was f**ked i knew that, they wanted £100 odd for one, i got one fo £19 all four tyres - them round £200, my local fitter £130 for the 4 (only 1 would have failed the MOT) bushes cant remember how much they wanted but they still hadnt been changed nearly 4 years later when i sold the car.

Re alloys-
you need to know the PCD ( think its pitch circle diameter) basically the distance between the wheel bolts. on 4 stud its the centre of 1 stud to the centre of the stud opposite. on 5 stud its from the centre of 1 stud to the middle distance from the 2 opposite.
Also the ET ( from the german Einpresstiefe meaning insertion depth )more commonly known as the offset )
and the bore size

have a look at
http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html
it seems to give a good guide

i would say with most of us its a passion for cars. there are a few full time mechanics here a a complete nutter ( ok someone with toooooo much knowlage and too much time :lol: thats Oldgit by the way )