When others drive

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you feel safe when other people drive with you as a passenger?

I only have a few friends who I have total confidence in their driving ability! Most tend to drive too close to the car in front, brake really late and have rubbish observational skills.

What about you? Do you always insist on driving?

The wife hates me being a passenger, as do my daughters. I usually end up driving 99.9% of the time.................I tend to keep my mouth shut when a passenger, saves any arguments. The usual, too close to the car infront, driving too fast for certain conditions and being lazy at the traffic lights, in 1st gear foot down on clutch, not remembering why I had to change the clutch slave!

Don't feel too bad with her indoors driving but some other drivers have me reaching for the imaginary brake!

Actually I prefere to drive myself. When my wife drives I feel safe, and got nothing against her driving style - remember that I teached her how to drive.
With most other people in drivers seat I feel bored or in other extreme I feel unsecure. Only person with whom I feel safe at really fast driving (talking about B rods, on highway anybody can be fast) is my best man. He got natural combination of preciseness, intelygence, motoric skills, smoothness and sense about movement of center of gravity.

I pretty much taught my wife how to drive in America. We have much bigger, wider roads than in Norway, so she gets nervous. Plus, there are more signs to look out for than she's used to. She doesn't scare me driving. She more drives me crazy by not downshifting to pass, or by being nervous to pass/brake/accelerate/turn.....

When it comes to my friends, I don't mind being a passenger. As long as it's not in my car.

Im usually ok, inless its someone trying to show me there car can handle better than mine, then I get a bit squeeky bum time. :blink:

I like to think myself as a considerate driver. I never take risks when I have other's in the car, so if I get a bad one, who is really nervous then I give them the option.

"Shut up. If your going to be a bad passenger, then I may as well be a bad driver'' I then proceed to drop her down a few gears and drive like a complete tit until they agree to shut up, then I proceed to drive normal. :)

Im usually ok, inless its someone trying to show me there car can handle better than mine, then I get a bit squeeky bum time. :blink:

I like to think myself as a considerate driver. I never take risks when I have other's in the car, so if I get a bad one, who is really nervous then I give them the option.

"Shut up. If your going to be a bad passenger, then I may as well be a bad driver'' I then proceed to drop her down a few gears and drive like a complete tit until they agree to shut up, then I proceed to drive normal. :)

I've done that before. A girl, really nervous, spent half an hour telling me how much she hated sports cars and she would get really scared if she went over 100mph (really?)

She wouldn't shut up, so as I entered the highway, I opened it up real good. The girl was screaming for me to slow down, and constatntly talking until I hit 115 then she got stone-death white and went silent. I slowed down to 65 and proceeded to drive normal. The funny thing was, after that, we actually had quite a pleasant evening.

This was in my 75whp Mitsubishi Mirage. If I had given her a ride in my Cobalt (which can easily hit 150) her head would have exploded.

A few of the works guys i work with i feel ok with as they are mature, family types who tend to be reasonably sensible drivers. But a lot of my friends are not the most responsible road users so i would probably not be a passenger with them.
Though i have had a few first time passengers say they were surprised at my driving, fast but confident and more than happy to get a lift again. Certainly gives a good feeling to be complimented like that.