What are your thoughts on cruise control

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that cruise control is good, bad or just another semi handy gadget?

What do you see as the pro's and cons of cruise control?

I've now had cruise control in both a manual (C4) and auto (Leon with DSG box) car, and to me, it seems better mated to an auto, especially if you want to resume to a previous set speed, since you don't have to be in the same gear (yet). There's something not quite natural about c/c, and it's not great as an economy measure as it can't see uphill sections coming, unlike a 'real' driver, who'd build up a bit more speed just to get over the summit without flooring the accelerator. You'd probably also let the car have its head on the other side too, but c/c tries to keep the car in check, losing the advantage of a downhill run too. Best left for totally flat sections of motorway and not much else IMHO. I had an automatic hire car in the USA once, which would resume from a standing start - scary, like it had a mind of its own. It didn't hang around through the gears either! I think I've heard that its use is banned in some European countries with 'crowded motorways', as if ours aren't. Not sure, but I think Belgium's one of them.

I have cc in the pug. I've driven other cars with cc and I agree it's best mated to a good auto. Mine seems to be a bit over enthusiastic about the resume thing which is annoying, it tries to get back to speed as fast as possible. It's even worse on the + speed buttons as it uses full power which in 4th gear in the wet and greasy conditions is just too much for the front tyres.

Yet a Camry v6 I drive periodically (which is automatic) will spend up to a minute getting back to 70 from 40mph. That, too is equally infuriating so I end up just driving it back to speed with pedal and SET new speed.

The adaptive systems are quite clever, especially the ones with brake anticipation but it would take a lot to trust it.

I really am unsure of the legalities but I'm pretty certain that resume is not allowed below 28mph in most of Europe.

ive had it in an accord before and thought its only handy if you get an itch on your right leg
i felt i wasnt in control of the car with it on

CC does not detract from car control. Surely not for you as you have no need for ABS, ESP, DSC etc.
im so used to the feling of the gas pedal, with cc both my legs are just
resting, thats what i mean its weird, i much prefer doing it myself

Gas pedals are remote devices now anyway. Drive by wire is commonplace. So any feel you get is artifically put there. Why not do the same with braking and directional stability?

I have cruise and NEVER use it, i like to feel in control at ALL times :)

You are in control with cruise engaged. It does deactivate immediately you touch clutch or brake pedal.

I do find it largely useless though. If you're the kind of driver who just sits at one speed regardless of what's going on then it may be useful. I suppose they're the really thick ones who don't realise that they're never in control, CC or not! :-(

You are in control with cruise engaged. It does deactivate immediately you touch clutch or brake pedal.

I do find it largely useless though. If you're the kind of driver who just sits at one speed regardless of what's going on then it may be useful. I suppose they're the really thick ones who don't realise that they're never in control, CC or not! :-(

Yes, i am aware of that ;)

I find it useful when i have the phone in one hand and a can of drink in the other while steering with my knees :lol:

Yes, i am aware of that ;)

I find it useful when i have the phone in one hand and a can of drink in the other while steering with my knees :lol:

lol thats naughty.....I've never had a car with it. But saying that I don't think i'd use it if I did. i'm forever changing speeds and lanes an such like. And nowadays theres too much traffic on the motorways to use it. But useful as tex says lol.....