Some random thoughts

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
For those who don't know I worked for 6 years as a defensive and advanced driving instructor and encountered a number of participants with a license that IMO were totally unsuited to driving as they had little or no idea of car dynamics and what would happen if they did the wrong thing in certain situations.

Almost all had no idea of stopping difference when the speed was doubled. Most thought the stopping distance was doubled when in fact it was quadrupled.

Another exercise was the emergency lane change much the same as the moose test where the driver was given a direction to change lanes at the last moment possible to do it correctly.Sadly many failed and either locked everything up and sailed straight on thru the cones blocking the lane they were in,others accelerated instead of applying the brake.we used to demonstrate the correct way before the participants tried and also demonstrated what can happen if the wheel was turned hard before applying the brake which usually results in a loss of control and the car spinning.

FYI the later models passed the test easily

We also conducted a braking exercise on wet surfaces with and without ABS engaged and so many were unable to apply sufficient pedal pressure to experience how the ABS worked and it's sound and feel pulsating brake pedal.Some thought that they had applied sufficient pressure and the ABS was working when in fact it wasn't. FWIW I always encouraged everyone to test the ABS in their car in a safe place at app 35mph
as there have been reports of some drivers actually getting off the brakes when the ABS was activated and that is not a good thing
I had to explain the for the ABS system to do its job they had to apply sufficient pressure to actually lock a wheel before the system would unlock the wheel.

Last edited:
People and drivers need to understand that not everyone is suited to operating a motor vehicle competently and safely as some seem to lack observation skills and co-ordination which when behind the wheel is arguably the most dangerous thing anyone can do on a daily basis. Added to this is people behind the wheel alcohol or drug affected including both legal and illegal varieties.

It seems to me that our governments and bureaucrats are reluctant to impose a more stringent on and off road testing that puts drivers under pressure in simulated emergency situations before they are allowed out on our highways and byways as they fear of the public's reaction to perceived "right to have a driving license" mindset when it actually a privilege.

Disclaimer I am by no means the best driver in the world BUT I work on my observation skills every time I get behind the wheel, read the traffic flow ,don't tailgate,observe the posted speed limits and don't check my electronic toys at every opportunity like some that you are behind at the lights with their heads nodding up and down and invariably need a gentle toot when the green light shines to alert them to get moving \B, slow down when I see a stop sign or traffic light ahead change to amber and come across so many that appear to lack observation powers and fly on by only to jam the brakes hard when the situation finally dawns on them.

I am passionate about driving and road safety and despite being at an age when many just drive to church or shops and engage in games like lawn bowls,croquet or bingo ( which heaven forbid I may have to play when my license is finally cancelled :eek:) I still love my speed when on any track and still drive 15,000 + klm's a year which includes towing the car in the pic to events in all conditions.

I have recently viewed an actual British driving test video and the "emergency" stop at what appeared to be at 15 mph was so unrealistic I laughed so much I nearly fell of my chair .V(
It is at app 2.20 secs on the video

IMO all emergency brake tests should be conducted at dedicated off road facility and at far more realistic speeds on wet and dry surfaces where the driver is put under pressure.I have been a passenger in that scenario where there have been instances of the driver panicking and hitting the gas or freezing and thankfully on the rare occasion letting go of the wheel altogether .V( TRUE story.!!!

The other thing that grated on my ears was the hand brake ratchet noise \B as IMO no pro driver like say a chauffeur or anyone who takes pride in their skills would ever engage the HB in that manner.

Last edited:
Haha, I remember the emergency stop on my test (some 20 years ago) because the tester's comment will always stay with me.
"When I hit the dash with my clipboard, please imagine that a person has just stepped into the road and perform a safe emergency stop."

Some moments later.....

Slap goes the clipboard....

Some moments later....

"Well, thank you for coming to a stop; we should really get out and check for blood on the car as you just ran over the imaginary man."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Something must have gone my way, though, as we did it again and all was fine and I passed first time.