weight question?

That would depend on the power,

a car would have.
Power to weight is always the initial equation.
But not the only way.
Changing a cars diff gearing can do much the same without altering weight or power.

As a rough rule of thumb though, every 10kgs is worth 2hp.

so 100kg would result in a 20bhp increase.

i know the gearing would make the difference, but just on the gearing it is in and doing no ther modifactions just weight loss. i took my spare whell out weighing around 20kg, so i would get a 4 hp increase.

so 100kg would result in a 20bhp increase.

i know the gearing would make the difference, but just on the gearing it is in and doing no ther modifactions just weight loss. i took my spare whell out weighing around 20kg, so i would get a 4 hp increase.
cool lost 130kg's + so far, that would give me 26hp tyer well will come out this week

It's common for true supercars (500bhp plus) to be geared so that they can just reach 62mph in first. This, of course means that the clutch gets a battering getting it away at 8000+ rpm. So do the tyres. THey act like substitutes for an hydraulic torque converter.

The gearchange thus avoided gives a better 0-62 time that would be achieved if there was a need to snatch 2nd on the way.

0-62 is a benchmark, and it's well known. But it doesn't tell the whole story. What I like to see is 60-85 (60 times sqrt 2) being the same as 0-60. That's a better measure.

Weight reduction works across the whole performance envelope of a car. It's worth doing if you really want every last ounce of performance. Air resistance is negligible at low speed.

That would depend on the power,

a car would have.
Power to weight is always the initial equation.
But not the only way.
Changing a cars diff gearing can do much the same without altering weight or power.

As a rough rule of thumb though, every 10kgs is worth 2hp.

Depends on your starting position. A 300bhp 2 ton Yank Tank will hardly notice 100Kg, but take that off of a 300bhp Caterham Superlight.... :)

Power to weight is my obsession. At 550bhp and 600kg, each Kg is worth almost 1bhp/tonne.

Just run an experiement on my Cartest 2000 simulation sotfware. Using a Nissan 200SX Turbo weighing 2450lbs, the 0-60 is 6.67. To get this down to 5.67 you will have to shed 550lbs! Increasing the bhp and torque (both 180) by 50 achieved the same result, roughly ageeing with Sid's 10kg/2bhp.

Last edited:
ha yer sure is, how much lighter would the exact same seats be in my car, but non electric, i presume you can probally get these in the lower spec versions. as i dunt really use it that much and i can buy a back support anyway.

Quite a lot lighter. I've got electric seats in the front (8 way adjusting for driver and passenger). THey've got to weigh in at a few dozen kilograms over manual ones - DC motors are HEAVY