Should power to weight ratio be quoted by car makers

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think power to weight ratio is an important and reliable indicator of performance?

Should car makers use this in addition to acceleration times?

What would you consider a good power to weight ratio?

IMHO they should advertise dyno tested power AT THE WHEELS as that would include transmission/drivetrain and belt driven accessories power drain on the usually quoted engine dyno figures.

If that was done then owners would have some comeback for any underpowered vehicles sold.

Then there is no way that manufactures will allow that to happen! Most buyers wouldn't have a clue what a power/weight figure meant and it can't be used to compare performance.

Then there is no way that manufactures will allow that to happen! Most buyers wouldn't have a clue what a power/weight figure meant and it can't be used to compare performance.
If all manufacturers started doing it the general public would soon learn what it meant. However it would just become another benchmark to compare vehicles - which we already have many of.

For those buyers interested in this sort of thing they already know how to calculate power to weight and will be comparing already.
Mine's 0.25 approx.

0.25 what? :)

I'm old school and still work in bhp/tonne, although a more indicative figure would be lbft/tonne.

Manufacturers won't do this as it risks unfavourable comparisons.

I can't see why they can't start quoting this stat, with all the others. For those in the know and to whom it matters it will be useful, to everyone else it will just be another number in the brochure.

Ah, but it would be a figure you could compare with other makes and it then turns into a numbers race. No one wants to lose that race so best not to start it.