Volvo 760 Turbo

ilo

Car
Volvo 760 Turbo
Hey everybody!

I have an old (1983) volvo 760 turbo! It is fitted with a good turbo with full boost (I think)...it has a lot of turbo lag, but I like it that way, it's kinda like an after burner opening up on a jet fighter!!
Anyway, I was thinking about fitting it with a bigger turbo, so I was wondering what should be done to the engine to help it cope with the extra boost (change crankshaft, ...) does anybody around here have enough experience?

Thanks guys

Elie

Why not fit a couple of smaller turbos, you'll get less lag and a bigger top end.

The engine can take a fair bit of extra power but you will need to adjust the fuelling and timing to suit.

I'd look into a boost controller first, the standard turbo still has a lot to offer.

I'm really sorry we've missed your post and I'd like to welcome you to TorqueCars.

thanks for ur reply man!

A boost controller...mmmmm....that seems interesting...I guess I still have a lot to learn about turbos!!

the problem is that I am a little bit limited in terms of "experts" who can actually fit the car with turbos or overhaul the engine...like this volvo "expert" who thought that the dump valve I wanted to fit is a water regulator!! stupid guy!!

Anyway, I will look into the boost controller first, before fitting the car with a bigger turbo.

I think that I should overhaul the turbo as well...do u have an idea how to do this?

Thanks again

ilo

You speak English like a native!

There are companies that offer a turbo overhaul service. It's not really a DIY job as the turbo spins very quickly and a slight imbalance in its internals would be fatal!

Well, actually I am not a native at all!! I am Lebanese, but I live and work in Paris. The car I'm talking to u about is back home, and when I go back to visit, I play around with the engine!

So as I've said before, there aren't many machanics back home who know much about Turbos!! This is why I posted on this forum!

Anyway, I'm gonna try to find a good boost controller, which I'm guessing I can't find easily in France, so I'm gonna have to ship it from the UK!

Anyway, if you guys have any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks again

ilo

Possibly one thing that people overlook when increasing the boost presure is the intercooler, a freind of mine is modifying a 740 turbo with basically the same engine, he used an intercooler from an Iveco/Ford truck and found that the improvements were substantial as the intake temps were kept down.
Hope this helps
regards
Kevin

thanks mauler!! I'll add that to my list of things to do! This is the sort of information that really helps!
Can anybody recommend a good quality boost controller that will actually fit on my car!
Plus, should the boost controller be connected to the ECU?
I will continue to do some research!

Cheers,
ilo

I have the T3 turbocharger!
plus I made a mistake, the car is actually a 1984 model.
Does anyone know a performance ECU that will plug to this volvo (without having to change all the wiring and sensors)?

thanks guys
Elie

I have the T3 turbocharger!
plus I made a mistake, the car is actually a 1984 model.
Does anyone know a performance ECU that will plug to this volvo (without having to change all the wiring and sensors)?

thanks guys
Elie

You'd almost certainly need to build the entire fuel and boost map from scratch. But look at www.superchips.co.uk - they offer a mod for the 740 Turbo (same engine) which adds 35bhp.