Upgrading brake fluid?

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
Hi All.

Hoping for some advice. I'm pretty convinced I have already buggered the brake fluid in my R36 through repeatedly boiling it - although I have yet to stick a tester on it. The pedal feel is starting to go in the same direction as my W8 which has been tested as in desperate need of a fluid change!

I know little about brake fluid, but I read DOT5 while it has a higher tolerance to boiling, isn't compatible with VAG cars? If i'm changing it - I want to make it better! ;) Particularly because I'm doing a track day this summer..

Can someone smarter than me shed some light? :p

dot 5 isnt compatible with much i dont think however 5.1 is

i use 5.1 in the bora, just the cheap stuff as i was only meant to use it short term while the brakes settled. havent got round to changing it

ATE super blue although a dot 4 is supposed to be one of the best.

The Dot 5.1 is the way to go! formulated for cars with ABS and 5.0 is for cars without it apparently. Unaware of it not being compatible with VAG cars?
Upgraded to 5.1 on the advice of the garage who replaced my standard brakes with some four pots calipers and discs. There was a big difference in the pedal feel, not cheap though, Halfords have some for £11.99 for a litre and I was advised to buy 3 to allow for a thorough flushing through of the system.

Hi All.

Hoping for some advice. I'm pretty convinced I have already buggered the brake fluid in my R36 through repeatedly boiling it - although I have yet to stick a tester on it. The pedal feel is starting to go in the same direction as my W8 which has been tested as in desperate need of a fluid change!

I know little about brake fluid, but I read DOT5 while it has a higher tolerance to boiling, isn't compatible with VAG cars? If i'm changing it - I want to make it better! ;) Particularly because I'm doing a track day this summer..

Can someone smarter than me shed some light? :p

FWIW All the rally cars tuned here in my friend's garage use Girling Dot 4 fluid, however, the fluid is replaced three times a year. My advice to you would be to change your brake fluid every time you think that you have overheated them badly, cheap insurance against brake failures.

Go for it, it does last quite a long time. Just be sure to bleed out all of the old stuff first or you'll be negating the benefits.

ATE super blue although a dot 4 is supposed to be one of the best.

finally remembered the other stuff i was trying to remember

BBF600 yet another dot 4 but used on several track day cars

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Perfo..._600_High_Performance_Brake_Fluid/514/0/33576
only £2 more than the halfords stuff

and the ATE
http://www.k300performance.co.uk/ate-super-blue-racing-brake-fluid.php

£20

ate stuff is blue so suppose its easy to see when the new stuff coming through rather than trying to see the colour difference between 2 amber liquids

not sure on the passat but i found out my full brake system requires 1.1 ltrs pain when they sell it in 1ltr bottles mainly