tyre advise needed

jasio1978

Tuner
Car
chrysler 300c
tyre advice needed

Good evening all. I am having a nightmare trying to buy and maintain tyres for my car. I have a chrysler 300c, with startech wheels on (20s).
Prob 1. Since day one i have had no idea what the correct tyre pressure should be. it had 2.8bar(think thats 41psi) rear, and 2.7bar (39psi) front, when i picked it up so i have maintained this butit does feel a little hard.
Prob 2. The rear tyres are 275 35 20. The front are 245 40 20. Theese front tyres just dont look like they fill the wheel. the tyre wall bit that is meant to blend into the wheel rim looks like its too far in, leaving the wheel rim protruding out wider than the tyre wall. I think the wheels are 9j.
Can i put 275 35 20 all round, or do i need the slightly thinner tyres at the front and if so why. Sorry to have rambled and excuse my non technical terms, but can any one help. I have trawled the web night after night and cant find any answers. Chrysler dont want to know unless i buy my tyres from them, that aint happenin, and kwikfit scratched their head and said try the 275 on the front if it fits put them all round, but then said they wouldnt fit them cos theyre different to whats on there. please somebody help.
kind regards. j:confused::(:confused::(:confused::(:mad:

Last edited:
Do you know what the original tyre sizes are, the ones that it came out the factory with? then I can help you,

I'll have a look on the net as well

The wheels and kit were put on in the factory when it was first sold, but according to the book, they normally come as std with 225 60 18. Does the 9j part of the equation tell you what you can put on them. Im not trying to pimp it to the max with the widest poss tyres, i just want to know what it will ride on best. the front 245 40 really dont look right. I was told today a 255 35 would take that up a bit, but am i going too low on profile... grrr i just dont know.

thanks for answering.

ok quick check on tyrestrech as the 245 does seem a little narrow.
9_255_35_R14_Dunlop_SP_Sport_9000_595.jpg

picture shows a 255 tyre to a 9j wheel it doesnt look too bad. the rears will possibly be wider as its RWD

one for you Paul a 12j wheel with 215 tyre fitted
12_215_60_R14_Goodridge.jpg

you need to go bigger on all wheels to put your speedo right,

you really need a 275 40 20 if your original tyres where a 225 60 18 and they will fit the 9j wheels, if it's still not wide enough then you will need some spacers,

Those pics, they show exactly what i mean. Dont get me wrong, that 12j is well bad, mine aint quite like that, but that is a more drastic version of whats on my motor. Id be happy if it looked like the first pic. I think i might try a 255. All the 275 40 20 that i have looked at, (and i did look, cos there is quite a price dif between 275 35 and 275 40,) were for suv and 4x4. where as the 35s were a car tyre... more confussion. I got offered a real good price on toyo 275 40, but when i reserched them, they were rangerover sport tyres.

remember the RRS is really an onroad thing rather than off road

2 links

255/40/20 - there are Bentley approved ones in that list so they are for cars as well (although i dont like the look of the £316 price tag for one )

275/35/20

ive used tyretraders in the past and found one thing. if you can find out what garage fits them then give them a shout and tell them the price and see what they can do.

Most likely be toyo proxies, 275 40 20, does matter that they fit a Range Rover they will stil do the same job as they aren't off road tyres, and if you go for the 35's the speedo will be out where as on the 40's it will be spot on,

Most likely be toyo proxies, 275 40 20, does matter that they fit a Range Rover they will stil do the same job as they aren't off road tyres, and if you go for the 35's the speedo will be out where as on the 40's it will be spot on,

Not many Range Rovers go off road anyway. I doubt they'd be very clever off road on 20" rims either.

According to Toyo:

275/35/20 tyres should be fitted to wheels between 9 and 11" (or J) with the optimum being 9.5

For the 245/40/20 this is 8 - 9.5 with an optimum of 8.5.