Tweaking my mk2 polo

gogs101

Car
Polo mk2f 1.3 Coupe
Hi guys, pretty new driver here, looking to give my OLD polo a little more of a kick without cranking up the insurance (if they needn't know then even better ;))

Thinking of replacing/fitting a panel air filter or something, then maybe some new (possibly sporty) spark plugs.

Any suggestions for particular brands to go for (or avoid) for either of them?

Any more ideas for small tweaks i could make?

Cheers

btw its a 94 mk2 polo facelift version with the 1.3 carb engine

Firstly welcome to Torque Cars. Nice to meet you, as such.

Don't with-hold information from your insurer, it's not worth the risk. Air filters and plugs are always worth having replaced when necessary but neither is going to turn a 1.3 Polo into anything other than what it is, which is a car with pretty modest performance.

However, you can make the best of the car as it is, and they're not unpleasant cars at all. One of the better choices if you want a small yet comfortable motor.

One thing I suggest, apart from regular servicing, is to abandon supermarket fuel, if you've been using it, and start using premium fuel, especially if the car is new to you. Swap the air filter for a new one if the current one is dirty. If this is the case, then assume that new plugs should be fitted. Denso makes some very good quality plugs and they're pretty good value, especially with a 4 cylinder car - you can get a set for under £30.

Get the oil changed and use a good quality synthetic (AMSOIL, Millers, Fuchs, Silkolene, Motul, Castrol etc etc) and also replace the oil filter.

I think that your car has throttle body single point injection being, as it is, of 1994 manufacture. Carbs had all but gone even in 1992. This is a good thing. No harm in loading a large does of injector cleaner into the tank, along with decent fuel, the cleaning process can take a week or two but is well worthwhile.

Kind rgds,

Paul

Last edited:
great! cheers for the info about the carb/injection situation, I wasnt entirely sure myself which it was.

And yeah, I'm a realist, I wasn't expecting to turn it inot a supercar overnight haha
I'll look into the air and oil filters you reccomend, and yeah i'll let the insurers know.

Thanks for your advice :)