TURBO PRELUDE! But how?! I'm stuck...

2speedy4you

Alright, well basically I've been reading a lot of information on how to turbo my Prelude. So far I've got a lot of different information, and I know some of it isn't right, but something is better than nothing...I guess. Anyways, I want to know how to safely install my turbo without hurting my engine or transmission (or at least not too much), but also get the most out it that I possibly can. I'm going to get my hands on a dual intake system, some type of exhaust that will all the waste to leave quicker, but what else do I need? I've read that bigger valves are necessary, new cams, water injection to avoid premature ignition, and some sort of Performance chip to take the place of (???) my current ECU in order to remap how much fuel is heading to my motor.

I'm just getting into the whole "modding my car" deal, so if I got something wrong, just let me know :bigsmile: Also, I'm not looking to buy a new motor!!! I'm poor as hell, I just want to know what to do for the future to get the most out of my turbo without beating the hell out of my car.

Thanks in advance for any information you guys have to offer, it's MUCH appreciated! :D

putting a turbo onto any car will have repercussions. that you have to weigh up? ?? more strain on the main bearings. crank. pistons. valves. stems. springs. etc etc et. . your ramming a lot more fuel air. into the engine. you have to weigh up cost. set up cost. parts. etc etc. on your car in question. ? would i.personally do it? ?? no mate. not a hope in hell. save your money and buy a more performance orientated car to start of with. integra maybe civic type r. . if your a honda man. if you want to stick with the prelude. you will have to up rate your drop links. roll bars brakes etc etc. and all of this will cost u a lot of money. as if it goes a lot quicker you need to be able to stop it. handle it. you then have the clutch. gearbox etc etc. that wont last as long as normal. as your putting a.lot more power through them. they might last 6 weeks. 6 month. ???? it all.adds to the cost its a long list

Last edited:
Best thing to do mate, would be looking at engine conversions. I have no knowledge when it comes to Jap cars, so I am unsure on what engine would fit in, that has a turbo already bolted on.

Ask around and I am sure some one here can help!

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

also remember that hondas are high compression so fitting a turbo to it would mean ether running bugger all boost waste of time imo of spending the money or changing the internals to lower the compression down.

if you 2.2 USDM or JDM ? i know the JDM is around 220 but generally UK and US got underpowered versions so that could be an option as well.
alot also go for supercharging rather than turbocharging due to the vtec

Why do you want to go down this route if your poor? if you don't mind me asking. your opening up a can of worms!

I've read about people turboing the mighty H22 engine with great success, but also at great expense.

;)
How would putting a turbo into a naturally aspirated engine cause issues?

Simple

A na engine isnt built to take the extra power and heat that a turbo engine produces so in most cases it cant .

Then there is the fact that the brakes , etc etc often cant handle the extra power either. (and Id call that an issue )

Oh and you put a turbo onto an engine

Thought about a supercharger? Much easier and there are alot of 'Kits'.

I agree. Supercharging is making a comeback in tuning because it's easier to install, less wear on the engine, no lag, and a cleaner looking install. Supercharging is much easier and at the end of the day, more reliable. If this is your daily driver, a supercharger will be plenty. A supercharger can also react 10 times before a turbo can react once. It's not perfect, but there are many advantages. The main advantage of turbos is there's higher potential for power, but I highly doubt you're making a straight-line drag car.

The only issue with a supercharger is you need a custom intake manifold (for a roots type, which has the best noise and is quite popular). Screw type and Centrifugal superchargers do not require custom intake manifolds but do require custom mounting brackets.

Chevrolet went with (roots type) supercharging for the Cobalt SS (2005-2007) and the intake manifold is quite a thing to look at... because it's also the intercooler.
LSJ.jpg

1236979175.jpg