Tuning tips: Weight reduction

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Losing some weight from your#! car will help all aspects of performance. As there is less weight to pull around the acceleration will be quicker. Braking will also be better and general handling will improve. So what can you do to reduce the weight of your car? Wheels, fitting alloy wheels will help to reduce [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

The article is fine but you probably know that I have no interest in this type of modification.

Although I did have a haircut last week. Does this qualify?

Against stainless steel, titanium is more corrosion resistant (chlorine can't touch it unlike stainless) heat resistant (up to 2000degs c in aircraft grade) and a hell of a lot lighter.

yup
quick google turned up a saving of 12kg over a standard system on a skyline.
big cost involved however and not readily avalible

Well as you brought this to my attention now! If my Euro Lotto comes up this Friday I'll buy you one! :lol:

When lightening a car you still need to think about if this is a track only car or still used on the road. Some items people remove make no difference at all as more often than not you need to replace something else! Mine is partially stripped but is still road legal and is used for work on occassions. So on that score the heater matrix is staying put as lightweight units don't help to keep you warm or demist the car in winter.

You remove door cards and replace with alloy sheet, probably zero difference in weight once you add fixings! How many people can afford carbon fibre?

Mine still has its dashboard, no carpets, no soundproofing, no plastic trims around the pillars, no rear seats or belts. Battery moved to the inside behind the passenger seat and two bucket seats.

Under bonnet items removed, soundproofing, engine covers, redundant brackets etc. Boot cleared of all carpets, trim and just leaves a spare for getting about, gets removed on track days.

Stereo and front speakers in place all the time it is used on the road, removed for track use. Had enough of the phone and earpiece!

Glass windows still in place as used everyday, polycarbonate okay, but if a daily driver it gets hot in the summer! Also what will the insurance company load your premiums if you have plastic windows? I know they are tough but can bend ;)

As said, lightweight alloys make a difference as unspring weight but they need to be strong.

Carbon fibre panels, hmmm nice but darned expensive, circa £650 for the MG bonnet, a third of the cars value!

Master Auron should be well placed to offer advice with weight reduction. He's the bloke who can lose dozens of kgs from even the smallest of cars. No doors, no roof, no floorpan etc. :lol: :lol: :lol: