Tuning tips: Sports performance tires

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It is surprising how much difference a tire can make to the handling of a car.#! Motor sports teams select a tire for the prevailing conditions of the track so have a range of wet weather dry weather and of roads tires with various stud profiles and patterns. Normal drivers however have to opt for [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

Horses for courses! (i think that is right english expression?)

In my opinion any tyre gives different feel. Not just grip or handling, which are directly connected with tyre softness and wall hight or wall stiffness.
You can get tyre that holds the road pretty good, but they not comunicate to you the way you like and you are not comfortable with them.
Because I don't race anywhere I would choose tyre that gives me clearer feedback trough steering wheel and lesser grip before i would choose tyre with greater grip and lesser feedback. For me that is the way to drive closer to the tyre limits and maintain some degree of control. Of course, guys who do track days or genuine racing could choose different way because, hopefully, with greater speeds and greater G demands better griping tyre could start to comunicate above speeds I ussually drive on my local roads.
When you look at the tyrereview you can see that for the same tyre people give different marks. Feeling that tyre provide to us are very individual and that affect rating.
At the end of the day it becomes personal taste depending on our driving style or technique or preferences.
All technical stuff like grip when circling can be meassured, but I wouldn't be surprised when tyre with somewhat lesser grip got better marks.

Just like cars - BMW series 1 got better marks for spirited driving, but Citroen C4 grips better.*

*got it from some German magazine years ago who drives both cars in circle and C4 is able to maintain greater speed then BMW 120.