Tuning tips: Quick shift gear kits

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
A fast gear change is an essential in any form of competitive driving. One of the easiest modifications to allow you to achieve this is a quick shift gear change kit. We look at what a quick shift gear kit does and how it will help to improve your car. A gear stick is pretty [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

i agree i made a quickshift for my e30 out of a z3 linkage and it feels so much nicer.
not only is it faster it doesnt feel like trying to stirr a bucket of coal anymore!!!!

Not convinced. Its all down to the driver I think.

Fully siquential (or how ever you spell it! lol) is the way forward. And back!! ( If you didn't get that find out how the siquential works!) :D

I dunno. I quite like the feel of the short throw changer my mate had fitted to her A3 1.8T. Firmer left arm movement required but I found this likeable.

The 406 had a very fast and loose change; the shift was smooth and light but lever travel fore/aft was too long even for someone with my gorilla like long arms. I'd considered getting it altered but the cost was high so I didn't bother.

The E39 I'm currently using is a 6spd Auto with the BMW Steptronic option so there's nothing to modify. It slurs the gears together very well. Under all normal driving conditions you have to eyeball the rev counter to spot the changes.

Last edited:
Birds Auto can retro fit a BMW E46 M3 SMG2 steering wheel to work with the 6speed auto box (provided you put it in manual mode) so you can have paddles behind the wheel. I think it will fit the E39 as well but I dare say it's a pricey upgrade.

Not convinced. Its all down to the driver I think.

Fully siquential (or how ever you spell it! lol) is the way forward. And back!! ( If you didn't get that find out how the siquential works!) :D

Sequential :) boxes have good and bad points. You can't miss a gear with a sequential, but you can't go, for example, straight from 4th to 2nd as you have to go through one gear at a time, hence the name. This could prove to be a bit of a pain during normal driving on the highway.