Tuning tips: Induction kits

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Like all of us, car engines need to breathe. They use an air fuel mixture which has to be precisely balanced into what is referred to as an air to fuel ratio or AFR. For petrol engines this is between 12.5:1 and 13.3:1. A lambda sensor sniffs the exhaust and determines the amount of unburnt [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

i got a doubt bro?i got a swift which is 87bhp..can i fit an induction kit or i should go for panel filter?
which is good K&N or Greencotton?
i would like to get the intake growl replacing aftermarket filters would give it?pls help

What a load of bollocks.
The petrol engine runs most efficiently as with all engines at Lambda with petrol this is 14.5:1 AFR. Lambda varies from fuel to fuel so if you run methanol for instance you will run a lower AFR.
14.5:1 AFR is the petrol cruising Lambda but under load the engine needs more fuel, typically 13:1 AFR but on a turbo engine the AFR might be 11 - 11.6:1. So basically the preamble above is rubbish.
In my experience glossy advertising sells air filters and air filter kits. The cars I have experience with, Subarus, Vectras, Astra GTEs and Jags, none of them in standard or semi standard form benefit whatsoever from an "uprated" fuel filter.
I do run K+N panel filters simply because they are reuseable after cleaning but they do not make any more power than the manufacturers cardboard item.
If you look up the K+N technical pages you will find they list the filters that have actually led to a performance gain on a specific vehicle. If they don't list any gain chances are they are not making any unfound claims.