Tuning tips: ECU remaps

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The ECU or Computer is what controls every aspect and function of your car. Most cars built since 1992 and indeed many before that had a computer to monitor and manage the engine. Now with the addition of catalysts and fuel economy requirements the computer has evolved into a complex system. Before the computer a [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

See if you can get a downloadable remap and flash your car yourself via the OBD port. Alternatively there are some piggy back devices around that do a credible job (but still not as good as a full remap.)

See if you can get a downloadable remap and flash your car yourself via the OBD port. Alternatively there are some piggy back devices around that do a credible job (but still not as good as a full remap.)

I seriously advise against downloading and DIY flashing. You can render the whole ECU unbootable if you use the wrong code or wind up with CRC errors etc.

Maybe an expensive and slightly risky option, but you could ship the ECU to the UK to have it remapped. On a lot of newer cars this is becoming the only option as manufacturers try to stop their cars being remapped in-situ.

If interested, you could do worse than contact lemonS3 who is a member of Torquecars and also my son :) He would give you a price.

To give you and idea of the improvment possible, if your engine is the 138bhp/250lb/ft version, this would increase to approx 194/325. If driven sensibly you will also see a good improvement in fuel economy.

Last edited:
That's quite a good plan to be honest. Even a generic remap will improve on the standard control code but do make the tuner aware of your location (obviously, they'd need this in order to return the ECU :) ), local climate and local fuel quality.