Track Day Guide

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Well i'm off to Snetterton tomorrow for a track day on Sunday! Does anyone have a tried and tested Do's & Don'ts list of track etiquette and pre-race car check list? :)

Some photos of the great day at Snetterton ;)

DSC_0104_exposure.jpg

DSC_5826_exposure.jpg

DSC_0922_exposure.jpg

DSC_5869_exposure.jpg

DSC_0155_exposure.jpg

DSC_5826_exposure.jpg

who was driving your car while you were taking pictures? :lol:

The car does look really low and by the looks of it hardly any body roll at all it must be very well set up.

Pics look great mate.
How did the day go?

Marvellous but ruddy freezing it was out there! ;)
There were some monster cars on the track, the fastest of which was a 911 privately owned and reputed to be running almost 700BHP :amazed: I can believe it as this thing was scary quick and had great handling. Lots of cars of all different shapes, sizes and classes! everyone had a great time, except the four that I saw which did not make it through the noise level check :(

who was driving your car while you were taking pictures? :lol:

The car does look really low and by the looks of it hardly any body roll at all it must be very well set up.

Cheers BFF, the car performed beyond my expectations and the 6 point strut brace and rear strut brace wont be fitted to later in the week ;)
I am however having the camber angle adjusted to 2 degrees tomorrow to assist the handling a tad more!

How many sets of tyres and brake pads did you get through then? It looks like you have had a fun day.

Interestingly there is an article on track day tips here. http://www.torquecars.com/articles/track-day-driving.php

Tyres down to 2mm and brake pads shot to pieces! fuel consumption was surprisingly good :lol:
Car is going in tomorrow morning to have the pads, tyres, brake fluid, oil and oil filter all changed.

Great stuff mate glad you enjoyed it.
Snetterton is a great track as well isn't it.

It is marvellous! the tarmac is so smooth and even the head instructor Darren had not been out on the new setup yet! This was duly done at 3.15 in the afternoon however when I booked him for some free lessons on track racing lines etc.

Good stuff it's always good to have someone with you for lines, corner speed etc as next time you'll be flying round.
I haven't been in years so I haven't even seen the new lay out yet.
As it changed much?

Good stuff it's always good to have someone with you for lines, corner speed etc as next time you'll be flying round.
I haven't been in years so I haven't even seen the new lay out yet.
As it changed much?

It has indeed TN, there are two nasty hairpins now which despite the warnings, caught me of guard in the early morning :embarrest:
Two longish straights and some demanding chicanes.
Can't wait to get the strut braces etc fitted onto the car and with my new found driving skills courtesy of Darren, I intend to do a whole lot better the next time out :)

how many times have you been to a track day T9? is it a regular weekend thing?

No not a regular weekend thing BFF, but I have been 9 times now, actually running my own car on track 6 times and using other track day cars 3 times!

Have been a spectator on at least 10 other ocassions though! All of this has been done over the course of about 3 years! Actual Saab driving on track, 2 were at Silverstone, 2 at Castle Combe, 1 at Mallory Park and 1 at the new Snetterton.

Well yesterday the brake pads and brake fluid (Super Blue Racing now!), oil and oil filter were replaced, plus brand new tyres all round as they were down to 2mm :amazed:

Went to have the tracking checked and it was spotted that the 4 rear hub adjustable bolts were heavily corroded. Have just ordered 4 new ones on an overnight from Sweden (none in the country???) for a B4 10:30am delivery, Ouch!! and to be delivered directly to Abbott Racing tomorrow where the strut braces etc and more polybushes are to be fitted.

Then i'm heading straight over to Elite's in Rainham Essex to have the full geometry setup done! :bigsmile:

Cool. I'll be curious to know how the resulting handling develops.

An 8 hour day sitting on a "past it's sell buy date leather settee" but my goodness it was so worth it! ;)

I drove back along the A12 with spirited enthusiasm! went around roundabouts quickly and with no fuss or drama, straight line accelaration with no vagueness in the steering whatsoever!

All in all, money extremely well spent :)

Was this mainly down to the geometry setup? OR did the parts on their own make a great difference?

Was this mainly down to the geometry setup? OR did the parts on their own make a great difference?

The geometry setup was the final piece of the jigsaw so to speak! Rear strut brace, six point subframe brace, and additional polybushes which are now made for certain other points on the car which did not exist 5 months ago, all helped to contribute too good road handling, but the geometry setup made it great! :)

After consultations with the technician and his own input from his track days, I went for a 2 1/2 degree negative camber on the front with a parallel Toe, and a 2 degree negative camber on the rear with a 1/2 degree Toe. This will reduce the tyre wear slightly, but then that's not a problem for me! Very happy with it all so far :bigsmile: