Too much tax!

jc denton

Track Warrior
Car
MR2
OK, I think I can safely assume that most of Torquecars members are keen drivers. If so then you amongst millions will be seriously upset about the ever rising cost of fuel at the pumps.

Take a look at this: http://www.banthepumps.com/

Fuel taxation currently stands around 78%. Small fuel stations are going out of business all over the country because most of what you pay goes to the government (who don't earn or deserve it). Your local filling station probably makes more profit if you go in & buy a mars bar, than if you buy £20 of petrol.

We pay Tax on our cars,

We pay more Tax to insure our cars,

We pay council Tax which (in my area anyway) obviously isn't being used to maintain the roads properly,

& we pay an Ever increasing Tax on every drop of fuel.

Boycott ESSO & BP!!I did this a few years ago but Nooo-body listened. & like I said: the cost of fuel will just go up & up. & it has.

If I do it again is anybody ells going too? or are we just going to let fuel prices rise & rise?

Soon there will be no such thing as a 'fun drive' on the track or the road. & if your anything like me, that is a serious threat to your way of life.

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Last edited:
Boycott ESSO & BP!!I did this a few years ago but Nooo-body listened. & like I said: the cost of fuel will just go up & up.

If I do it again is anybody ells going too? or are we just going to let fuel prices rise & rise?

Boycott? I think we need to do an Egypt in order to get fuel prices down. I dont use BP anyway since their prices around my area are always a penny or so higher than other companies

and what is the point in boycotting Esso and BP? So go to Shell - but its somewhat pointless as the issue is the same. The petrol companies are not adding tax to the cost of petrol. the problem is the way tax is applied as a percentage of the petrol price, it shuold be on a sliding rule so that the higher the price of petrol becomes the actual tax rate stays fixed so any increment in price is only coming from the petrol companies - then it makes sense to boycott some.

in regards to council tax, i would like to nominate Perth and Kinross as the most ineffective, small minded, tesco funded (for every gbp1 spent on shopping in Perth 60p is at Tesco's!!), unimaginative f......... ! And they have now decided that they will only collect one gardening bin every 2 weeks despite get shafted into almost the top council tax band.

I think the fuel price is the single biggest factor in the rising cost of living. Everything we buy is delivered and this aspect of the price is shooting up. I'm pretty sure that the recession was started by the fuel price hikes rather than the banking crisis.

The answer is to use our cars less. Using less fuel will reduce the amount of tax we pay and when supply/demand kicks in the prices should drop. How many of us can actually do this, most need our cars to get to work. I'm lucky in that I work from home and don't need my car. I've seriously dropped my mileage over the last few years and will hopefully continue to do so.

The trick for me was combining journeys each week. So I set aside one day to do the DIY stores, Supermarket monthly shop, and a trip to the neighbouring town and a bit of site seeing/relaxing. I also found that time management was better doing this so I see it as a win/win.

There is no doubt at all that forecourt fuel is almost a loss leader. That's why just about every single filling station in the country has a shop attached.

It costs over £100 to fill my car at today's prices (though I never run it empty because I hate seeing that 3 figure bill !) and I doubt the forecourt operator makes even £1 in profit on the fuel. It's the food and confectionery where the margins lie.

Speaking on taxes. I was once told how it goes in some cases to build a thing.
Like parts on a car.

Even just the tires:
The rubber, steel,etc for the tire gets taxed when it is bought by the manufacturer, then the manufacturer gets taxed when the completed tire gets sold to the dealer, then you get taxed when you buy the tire.

Not to mention taxes the state collects just to own the rubber plant, the tire manufacturer, or the tire dealer. or the taxes everyone has to pay when it comes to electric, gas and water to run their facilities, and taxes when they pay their employees.

All that gets passed on to the consumer. I'm sure fuel is no different.

The local council's are supposed too look after the roads! & we all pay council tax don't we?

Plus we pay car tax & tax on our insurance premiums.

But taxing every drop of fuel is F*****G Dirty & Greedy & its crippling almost everyone. Especially small business'.

I asked my local filling station manager today how much he made from my £20, after he payed his tax he worked it out too be around £1.20.

Everyone who is going to boycott ESSO & BP please let me know in this thread.

If enough people do it (or don't do it) I bet you anything in 6 months too a year their price's will drop & when they do, so will all the smaller companies.

In the meantime however nothing will change. Just get your petrol/deisel from another station.

Last edited:
I don't use BP anyway under principal, they are always more expensive than the nearest Shell station making us pay for their massive cock up last year but they were more expensive even before that anyway so i just don't buy from them

I don't use BP anyway under principal, they are always more expensive than the nearest Shell station making us pay for their massive cock up last year but they were more expensive even before that anyway so i just don't buy from them

I have more or less boycotted BP due to their prices. Shell is my local pump and they are generally cheaper than any other local pump so you can count me in the boycott.

as someone said, its not the forecourts fault, its the goverment and there rip off mentality. we are the most taxed country in europe ( ithink) this is because of the nhs, social security and the public services, if we really wanted to be taxed less then most of these would disappear. it depends on us to stand against that rip off mentality, not joe bloggs trying to earn a living at minium wage in the garage. its the knock on effect. garage shuts, bloggs is on the dole, and then cause the tax payer foots the bill youre paying to keep him at home. it aint the people on the front line, its goverment.

thats the longest reply ive typed in months, going to rest my two fingers lmao !!!!!

Unfortunately the fuel scheme that I use for my company is with BP and has been for a number of years now! not sure what discount we get, but my accountant is happy with it and she is a canny old soul!

I used to use a BP fuel card as well but now that I'm in a petrol car I don't bother. BP Ult diesel was excellent, Ultimate petrol is distinctly average and very pricey.

I used to use a BP fuel card as well but now that I'm in a petrol car I don't bother. BP Ult diesel was excellent, Ultimate petrol is distinctly average and very pricey.

Totally agreed! when possible I am a V-Power man so I tend not to use the BP card too often.

Nor i spend much money on the petrol. i do pay my taxes. but then the petrol is too pricey.

Last edited by a moderator: