Tips for my sierra!!

How deep are your pockets and what are you trying to achieve?

The best mods for a car engine are as follows.
Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

I doubt any Sierra's were fitted with cats anyway, apart from the very end of production 1.6i Sapphire and 2.0iS models. The model was replaced in 1993 by the Mondeo.

This lends its way to some good old fashioned tuning and as long as we keep the CO within a whole 3% by volume then there are many options for the Pinto engine.

The Sierra's are few and far between nowadays - as said, depends how much you'd like to spend (then double that figure as you always spend more :lol:)

Er....NO.

You fit a good size turbo on a sierra and sort out the cooling, you watch that baby fish tale in 1st 2nd and 3rd! They make great drifting cars, and shift when you set over 3500rpm.

Id trubo it everyday.

I thought I was answering a question not stating which route to take.;)

Sell it and buy a Sierra or Sapphire Cosworth and save on the megabucks required to get any decent power out of the Pinto lump:)

Bloody hell! How did that slip under the radar? Very tempted to edit the error out but that would be abusing my position :)

I put it down to the lateness of the hour.

Thanks for pointing it out :p

He meant Sawted just in case anyone was wondering. :lol:

Dont yer mene sawt?

I think we need to get back to the thread now :)

What engine is in the Sierra at the moment Brownie?

Last edited: