Time is close. To sell, or not to sell.

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
Well Gents, Ladies, the time is comming close to me thinking about selling my car. When I got it, I promised my self it would be for 1 year only. 1 Year of fun, then I'd sell and buy a house. I dont want to sell, but I have to get the ball rolling here. Otherwise I will still own this car this time next year.

My budget is about £3000 so I can put the rest of the money into savings then get a house.

The cars I have been thinking about are

BMW 335D
BMW 320D Coupe (hard to find)
VW Golf TDI
Audi A3 1.8D

Thats my short list. I am looking for a fast(ish) deisel, that is good on the juice around the 2002 age. What do you think of my shortlist, any other cars you can think of that I may want to considder?

The makes of cars I am not interested in are

Anything Korian (kia, hiundai, ect)
Anything French
Skoda's
Anything less than 1.4L

Any help?

Here is the thing. I like the shape of the 1 series. But, I cant put my finger on it, I just dont think they are what I want. You know when you see a nice car, but wouldn't want to own one. Plus, If I go anywhere with the misses and her Kids it would be a bit of a squeeze. I know the 3 series are not Limo size but I think it would be bigger in the back then the 1 series. I don't want anything too heavy like a 5.

Idealy, I would want something good for touring, with a bit of poke. I like good accelaration in the 40-80mph regon. I HATE being stuck behind things doing 40-50.

What do they drive like? Not had much to do with them. It would have to put a big smile on my face, as I am an a hole and biast against cars I have never driven! lol.

What do they drive like? Not had much to do with them. It would have to put a big smile on my face, as I am an a hole and biast against cars I have never driven! lol.

if you like the way the golf and a3 drive the leon shares the same chassis and 1.9tdi engine so its basically a golf/a3;) it just depends if your after a 3 or 5 door? cause the leon only comes in 5dr

Volvo S/V 70 D5

That is a good shout. Before I bought my Evo, I was looking at S70's. And for a car that will last, you cant do no better than trusty Volvo.

Can you pick up fairly low milage for around £3000 though. I have seen loads around the 180000 mark (although, that in Volvo terms means the engine is just about at its prime!) but I was after something will a little less milage.

Don't sell.

Sleep in t'Evo!

:D:D the problem is, is after the start of next year, if I dont sell, then she will have gone down in value to what I paid. And because I am a tight git, I will not sell at a loss. So I would have the car another million years untill I could afford a Nissan GT-R.

Mind, saying that, now isn't the best time to buy a house (dont know why, just trying to lie to my self) so its probably better to have a flash car then owning a slum house in Elgin.

If you don't mind a high mileage one starting from 75,000 up then they can be had from £3500 to £5000 in the trader.

I've also been looking at Volvo CrossCountry's/XC70's, a 2000 to 2002 car with around 80,000 upwards can be had for about £3000 to £4500ish.

I wouldn't mind an off roader. But I am a little biest against all off roaders that dont say Landrover on them. I have driven 100's of landy's and love them. Although I have had a look at the trader at the Audi's and they do look sweet. Don't know if I could justify one tho. I would have to take it to the dunes to have some fun!

Mind, saying that, now isn't the best time to buy a house (dont know why, just trying to lie to my self) so its probably better to have a flash car then owning a slum house in Elgin.

nows probably one of the best times to buy a house if youve got a decent deposit sitting there. and with whats going to happen in the elgin area then you should be able to buy something pretty cheaply.

Yeah, I know. What I dont want to do is put a deposit of about 20k down on a house worth 100k then find out the cam is closing then the house only being worth 80k. I know if the camp does close, it would cost alot of Civi jobs too, witch would mean a move, and that would mean a loss.

I was thinking about buying in North Wales, but you dont get much for your money down there just now. But saying that, prices WILL NOT drop in that area. New nucular power plant is going to replace wylfa, so more jobs, and possible hike in housing cost. Its just finding the right one for the money. I would like to have to money to hand to buy tho. I was meant to buy this year, but due to the bargin I got my car for, I thought I would have some fun. Its all hit and miss at the moment. If I sell my car, I would save around 6 and spend the rest on a new motor. If I can get 10 for her then I will be happy.

nows probably one of the best times to buy a house if youve got a decent deposit sitting there. and with whats going to happen in the elgin area then you should be able to buy something pretty cheaply.

couldnt disagree more with this, i think we have worse to come on the economic front and this will be detrimental to the house prices. Was looking to buy a flat but am holding back to see how things progress at least until the middle of next year as just have a nagging itch that the recent troubles are not going to disappear as fast as they are supposedly doing.

for the car - keep it, you know you want to really!

in regards to the price of the Evo, dont know how old yours is but saw a 55 plate FQ300 go through the auction at Kinross in October. max bid price was GBP5500 but sellers wanted GBP6200, almost bought it myself as looked pretty clean but the old man talked me out of it (as i only drive the Scooby 4 weeks a year) - of course selling private can net you a lot more.

Sounded like a bargin. You will get more if you sell the car yourself. The problem with auctions is that the majoroty of buyers are deelers, who want to sell a car as fast as possible for the best profit. If the car needed 4 new tyres, an MOT and the breaks doing, there is best part of £1500. It all depends on the service history as well.

I hope to hell mine is worth more than that! :amazed:

Sounded like a bargin. You will get more if you sell the car yourself. The problem with auctions is that the majoroty of buyers are deelers, who want to sell a car as fast as possible for the best profit. If the car needed 4 new tyres, an MOT and the breaks doing, there is best part of £1500. It all depends on the service history as well.

I hope to hell mine is worth more than that! :amazed:

Unfortunately this is a bad time to be selling practically anything, and a great time to be buying. Cars and houses included. So many great cars out there dirt cheap atm.

See the problem I get is that some weeks I think ''Yes, I am doing this, I am selling my car, I am going to get X for her, I am, I am.''

But then I get days like yesterday where I am looking at maby a new cam shaft or a new turbo and think ''Well I have enough to fit that right now.....maby keep the car for just one more year''

Its starting to anoy me. I cant dislike my car, I mean come on, its one of my dream cars. So for that reason I need will power alone. :embarrest:

I'm lucky in a way that the misses has decided she won't be in a position to buy a house until at least another year, so I thought stuff it let's bang my portion of the house deposit on an FRS lol.

It's easier when you have someone to make the decision for you! Just remember though if you do get rid and get a house, in a few years time you will able to get another one, or even something better altogether.

Last edited by a moderator: