Close to official MPG figures

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How close can you get to the official MPG figures? No matter how gentle I am I always seem to be about 4% under the claimed figures?

Surely they should be the best achievable in the real world?

How close is your usual driving style to the official MPG figures?

I think they should stop calculating MPG figures in a lab under the best of conditions and start releasing real world figures they got from actually driving the car. I got a heavy foot so my figures are always way over what they say.

I will defend the car makers in this by saying that as they are all tested under the same conditions it makes it easy to compare like for like. At least it's better than the old fuel used at a constant 56mph where they would tweak the engines to run lean at this point.

Will there ever be a perfect MPG rating system? I doubt it as there are too many variables.

Don't some of the Seat range, like the Leon Diesel get around 70mpg, which is more then the manufacturers estimation?

The current testing method is very good. Of course they cannot test for everyone's individual journey and driving style

But the methods used are very precise so we can use them to compares models from different makers reliably.

The drivers who conduct the tests have to drive the same route over and again and I think any results that vary by more than 2% are dismissed. It is very stringent now.