The ultimate economy hot hatch?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Volkswagen Polo (09 on) 1.4 TSI (180bhp) GTI 5d DSG

0-60 in 6.9 seconds and a 47mpg economy figure!

I'd say the twincharged VW Tsi engine is a fantastic piece of kit. I wonder if it can be remapped further without issues (I'd be surprised if it can't!)

Interestingly the new Polo is slightly bigger than a mk1 Golf! Would the size and class of the car put you off?

Is there anything else out there that would be as quick and as economical to run?

I seem to recall that the Diahatsu Charade GTTi was a 1.0 engine and did a similarly quick 0-60 time but still isn't quite as economical as this engine.

I will never buy a car purely for it being economical.

Most people don't do this either. Unfortunately those that do so are often disappointed with the results. Small engines don't automatically make for economy. And larger (arguably better designed) ones don't automatically make for thirst.

Driving style is still the overriding factor.

I would have thought that for a sub 7 second sprint to 60 you would still need to provide a fair bit of fuel.

I was just impressed about the fuel economy quoted and the performance on offer. I guess it having a lighter engine will help overall.

Turboshaft - which car does your mate have with this engine in it?

Waynne, to you question, Id have to say the Nissan Pulser for 7 reasons

1 - It is THE ultimate hot hatch
2 - Its economical (when you compare it to my car) should get 30mpg.
3 - It does 0 - 60 faster than a humming bird would flap its wing once.
4 - They are rere and therefore people admire them and turn heads
5 - Nobody knows the top speed as no one has big enough chestnuts.
6 - There safety record is terrible. You crash one, your going to die.
7 - They are 4x4 so handle well.

I know point 6 does not seem like the best seller of a car, but, when you think about it, it will slow you down if you are not a confident driver!

I would have thought that for a sub 7 second sprint to 60 you would still need to provide a fair bit of fuel.

I was just impressed about the fuel economy quoted and the performance on offer. I guess it having a lighter engine will help overall.

Turboshaft - which car does your mate have with this engine in it?

He's got the 140 hp golf 4

No, it's not chief. I've been "making the most" of my remap in the Fiesta and the fuel consumption will not drop below 46mpg. That's still nearly as economical as the Polo TSI driven as lightly as possible (book figures....)

Joe, only an Evo owner would see a 30mpg car as economical :lol: It's not the ultimate hot hatch because it's ugly as sin and it's gearbox can't even handle it's own power. Let's be honest, if they were that great you wouldn't be able to go out and buy one for a can of Tango and pack of curly laces. They're quick but that's where the greatness ends. Integrale all the way.

how about the 130 bhp diesel small SEAT....should have a good bhp per ton so therefore deliver a good turn of torque, speed and mpg, and also depreaciated a lot by now which would make it very economical

For that matter, why not consider the Audi A3 with 150hp TDI, or even the 170hp Golf GTD?