The magic of G3 and a cheap Halfords machine polisher!

Offerred to polish up a mates severly oxidised red Corsa (don't know what was worse, driving a Vauxhall or that it has winy windows!!!!!). Two passes with G3 and will go over the whole thing with a pass of Megs 83/80 (I forget which one is the lighter one).

From this:

08082010632.jpg

To this:

08082010633.jpg

I managed to do the bumper, bonnet, wing mirror, and door before it got dark. You can see where I stopped polishing towards the back lol.

08082010634.jpg

What you reckon? Coming up nice so far no?

top job mate !!!!

fords are quite bad aswell i think. uncle had an xr3i in rosso red, it was pink after 18 mths. also if you live by the coast the salt dont help.

has came up very well

ive not long started on my parents car with meg 83. its brought the paint back up and removed all the swirals

again its not that old, they didnt think it was that bad until they seen the difference

yeah the G3 is a cutting compound and the Megs is a polishing one. not used the G3 but the megs was used both on mine and the wifes VW (hard paint) and parents mitshi (supposedly soft paint ) to get rid of the swiral marks

the Megs smells like marzipan mmmmm

Megs is cracking too but this was such a state and the poliosher is crap so it's needed two passes with G3 so far. Did the back quarter, roof and boot lid today. Getting a lot of the big scrapes out too.

Very nice indeed. Except that it's a Vauxhall, that is. Solid red paints have been problematic for years, not just for GM. Cleary it's to do with the chemistry of the pigment and it's interaction with the elements, including sunlight.

Anybody out there with a bio-chemistry degree?

Finally finished the car after a total of about 6-hours. Finished off with a quick run of Megs 80 which smoothed the paintwork no end after the G3. Agree'd Vauxhalls are mostly all shocking, especially Corsa's. Vauxhall have some how managed not to have either mechanical brilliance (a la Honda etc) OR any degree of passion (a la Alfa etc) or interest about their cars.

Finally finished the car after a total of about 6-hours. Finished off with a quick run of Megs 80 which smoothed the paintwork no end after the G3. Agree'd Vauxhalls are mostly all shocking, especially Corsa's. Vauxhall have some how managed not to have either mechanical brilliance (a la Honda etc) OR any degree of passion (a la Alfa etc) or interest about their cars.

Ooooohhhhhh,that's not very nice.:toung:

No mate, I owe them quite a few favours tbh. They've been on holiday thus not using the car so I offered. They are back tomorrow.
thats good then at least it wasnt done for free
nod.gif
your time is precious you have a punto to finish building;)

thats good then at least it wasnt done for free
nod.gif
your time is precious you have a punto to finish building;)

:bigsmile: I've done a bit more on that today. Waiting for my hub carrier back with new wheel bearing and hub flange in so I can get it MOT'd before october. Then the real work begins.

Started making the mounts for the 16vt too and I have an engine crane on the way.

:bigsmile: I've done a bit more on that today. Waiting for my hub carrier back with new wheel bearing and hub flange in so I can get it MOT'd before october. Then the real work begins.

Started making the mounts for the 16vt too and I have an engine crane on the way.

thats good news then!!!!
i'm just going to post a question in your wip thread;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back