The best driver you have ever seen

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Bored last night so I was surfing YouTube for driving clips and I started to contemplate some past great drivers, guys I have seen race or rally and it got me wondering, who do you consider to be the best all-round driver you have seen in your lifetime and why?

Senna?
Mikkola?
Pond?
Schumacher?
Blomqvist?
Vatinen?
Rohrl?
Mansell?
Makinen?
Carlsson?
Vettel?
Alonso?
Loeb?
Plato?

Tell us why your man is/was The Best...

I can't decide between schumi, loeb and vettel.
I pick those 3 simple for the fact that they dominate the race of champions whenever they enter.
Loeb has won the race of champions on many occasions and shcumi and vettel have took the title for Germany many of times as well.

I personally vote for Loeb, that man drives a car like he stole it that night and he is going to prison for life without the possibility of parole in the morning so he has nothing to lose! - fantastic stuff :)

In some respects I agree with you Oz.
But I still can't say he's the best out of the 3. They all have their own strengths.
I'm leaning towards Vettel. For the simple reason is I think he's going to smash every record in F1 in the coming years.

Vettel is a great driver no argument there TN! And strangely he is a very likeable character compared to some of the other drivers I could mention :)

Last edited:
The best all round by a margin was Jimmy Clark brilliant in everything he drove. Best in Sports cars Stirling Moss. Best in F1 the one & only Fangio.

The Modern guys are not even on the same planet as the real drivers of the 50's & 60's. The modern drivers are very fit & great with money no doubt but put them in a Maserati F250 and tell them to keep up with Fangio they would #!#!#!#! there pants. Its all too safe now in the old days if you lost control chances were you didnt survive tended to make good drivers :). My dad said Nuvalari was even better but thats before my time so only since 1955 can i comment.

i dont think this can be decided by what someone might do in years to come . For me it can only be on what they have actually acheived.

Its very difficult to choose between all the different types of racing

Im ruling out F1 for two reasons
First the smallest change in spec and there is a different winner . That suggests there isnt a huge difference in the drivers .
Second and more important Ive tried racing on a track and on rough ground and I know which was easier and it was a no contest.
And with rallying some is on tarmac as well so that clinches it for sure.

So thats why for me its got to be a rally driver and therefore Loeb

As an old ex rally driver who competed before pace notes and no course reccy it was changeling to drive fast at night on roads and forestry tracks with constantly changing surfaces and grip levels so I agree with Sleepers thoughts on this.