supercharger V turbocharger

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
what are the pros and cons of either one. i know about turbo suffer from turbo lag but provide more power than supers so whats the cons with supers?

discuss.

the only con I got on my G60 was in the winter getting cold because you had the windows wound down to hear the whine of the charger coupled with a supersprint exhaust !! Amazing :):):)

Superchargers do use more 'base' power to create boost, therefore they're generally less fuel efficient. And there is NO lag or spool up delay (note that these are not one and the same). That said, modern turbocharged engines (even my 2001 car) are under ECU control with variable geometry and and electronically controlled wastegates so the spool up delay is very nearly eliminated. Add in the current fad for using two sequential turbos to get around the inertia issues and you have a recipe for a very quick car.

The downside is complexity. Superchargers are much simpler devices and should be inherently more reliable.

So - supercharger - less efficient; no lag.

Turbocharger - some degree of lag at low revs but very big torque outputs for a given engine capacity

Also depends on the car being either supercharged or turbocharged. What would you do with a Mustang in comparison to a Civic (let's just assume its vtec)?

Exactly!! As for the Civic, if it's a vtec then turbo is the best option, that way you have the turbo kick in, and then the vtec!

Like I said, depends on the car and also depends on what you are trying to achieve.

well ideally if 1 i can find another one for sale, an 2 if i get enough money to get one i will be getting a mustang 1969 302 an tune it. mabye get a rebore and supercharger, if that done give the desired bhp/torque ill prolly just go get a hemi engine, or something with big cubic capacity

very nice car :)

Steve coogan drives one in Saxondale but I think that's the newer model

in one of the episodes he says all the things that have been done to it :D