Starter motor/copper grease?

creature

Torque Junkie
Car
mg zs 1.8
Hello all long time no post. Not sure what to make of the mobile forums yet:) kind of like it:)

As the title suggests would you think copper grease would be suitable for use on cleaning/greasing a rather sticky starter motor?

If not what you recommend?

Finally got my audi a3 1.8t :) few minor mods/fixes and ill be putting a brand new k04 turbo I've got my hands on:)

I suppose it depends which part of the [starter] motor to which you're applying it any why. What's the problem you're trying to rectify mister?

It recently started over cooking the start up. Every time I turn the key it happily starts followed by a brief scream, then back to normal.

From reading up I figured it could be an issue with the spring in the key slot not returning correctly (checked no issue) so I can only imagine the starter has become dirty/worn and not detaching fast enough after ignition.

Now I can get a refurbed one for £75 but I'd much prefer to try and refurb my own and spend the £75 elsewhere:).

I'm open to ideas if you believe it could/might be somthing else?

cant help with the starter motor part but if your looking at fitting a K04 you might as well go for the gt28 and get more reliability - as long as you dont go for a Chinese clone.
your having to change the intake and exhaust plumbing anyway to fit the k04 as it isnt a bolt on job. i looked into it for a while and found that the 28 setup wasnt much more and gave more power

cant help with the starter motor part but if your looking at fitting a K04 you might as well go for the gt28 and get more reliability - as long as you dont go for a Chinese clone.
your having to change the intake and exhaust plumbing anyway to fit the k04 as it isnt a bolt on job. i looked into it for a while and found that the 28 setup wasnt much more and gave more power

I hadn't considered that as a solution. Damn I think I've got much more reading ahead of me:) do you have figures for your car running the 28? What revs does it kick in at?(spool up)

Thank you for the suggestion.

As a note to the original question avoid copperslip if used in hot locations as over time it hardens a little. Okay if the area in question is serviced regularly but if left it can cause more problems. In your case I would clean it well and use a high melting point grease if this was a route to take.

As a note to the original question avoid copperslip if used in hot locations as over time it hardens a little. Okay if the area in question is serviced regularly but if left it can cause more problems. In your case I would clean it well and use a high melting point grease if this was a route to take.

Brilliant thank you:) ill source some good grease :) any reccomendations or just any high melting point grease will do?

I hadn't considered that as a solution. Damn I think I've got much more reading ahead of me:) do you have figures for your car running the 28? What revs does it kick in at?(spool up)

Thank you for the suggestion.

i never got round to getting the parts for it. power was around 300 -350 on average from setups depending on how aggressive they were. recommended that you dont go over that as thats the safe level for the block.

i never got round to getting the parts for it. power was around 300 -350 on average from setups depending on how aggressive they were. recommended that you dont go over that as thats the safe level for the block.

Sounds like a good investment. They're not much more than the ko4.

300bhp is my limit. Don't need much more for the occasional track car.

300 seemed to be the limit for the k04 as well. even a hybrid ones dont seem to get much over 300

I had been considering dropping an uprated engine in but the gains don't appear to be worth the investment.

Short of fabricating mounts for the r32 engine I don't see a reasonable way of getting past the 300bhp barrier. (If I wanted to go higher) however at that point I think a 4WD would be needed. 300bhp through the front wheels sounds like I'd be pushing it slightly.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advise:)

I no longer have to cringe(and hide my face) when starting the car:D