sports suspension

theballboy

Tuner
Car
mondeo tdci
I am considering buying a new passat. Ideally I want the sport because of the sport suspension set up. But if I get a top of the range one without the sports suspension, what exactly do I need to purchase to enable me to do the sports set up myself?
THanks

I'm pretty certain that VAG will allow you the privilege of paying for the Sport suspension pack. Which model are you considering? Quite often manufacturers will fit top end models with the sport suspension option anyway, hence it being unavailable as an option.

Also, go and drive a standard demonstrator - you may decide that it's firm enough anyway. Unusual for VW though - their cars are often over biased towards comfort.

Will be purchasing second hand so may not be on the car. Just dont want to rule any decent model out if it doesn't have the sports suspension

OK, no probs. That's the best way to buy anyway - let someone else enjoy the swingeing depreciation first time round.

Of the previous range all the V models (for example, the petrol V5 2.3 or 2.5 V6 Diesel) were set up more firmly than the standard series anyway.

However, if you really want sporty handling then the Passat is possibly not the ultimate choice, but a good one nevertheless.

A BMW 3 series or 5 series will give a generally more involving drive than a Passat. As will some Japanese machinery: Mazda's 6 is a well kept secret. So will a Mondeo, but you know this, you have one already.

I'm not overly familiar with the current Passat but none are disappointing, just that the competition has moved on as well.

Particularly intersted in the 170bh engine you see being one of the main considerations plus I like the look of interior and exterior. Although would also consider the skoda octavia VRS. I have read however about the turbo lag in the passat which would concern me but not if it was on a par with the mondeo. Then again, a test drive will tell.

to change from standard suspension to sports suspension is easy mate. the springs are 20mm lower than standard thats about it. theres nothing really sporty. still uses the same shock absorber for, quick count gave for the front alone, 20 variants of coil spring
that is for the 2005 + models

to change from standard suspension to sports suspension is easy mate. the springs are 20mm lower than standard thats about it. theres nothing really sporty. still uses the same shock absorber for, quick count gave for the front alone, 20 variants of coil spring
that is for the 2005 + models

In that case to try to get the same set up you would need to change the shocks too? and dampers perhaps? What else to get the same exact set up?

In that case to try to get the same set up you would need to change the shocks too? and dampers perhaps? What else to get the same exact set up?

sorry i take that back there is different shocks for the sports suspension.
but at the price youd be better buying a proper "sports" suspension rather than the VAG ones.

front springs average out around £58 each and shocks £120
rear spring £60 and shock £103. - this is for the FWD models but the 4motion work out about the same.

so your looking at £356 for the front and £320 for the rear. total £676 when decent suspension can be bought for similar prices

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back