Someone help - throttle bodies, supercharger...

BJ2020

Car
Shopping
Hello everyone,

I don't wanna make a clown of myself and if you laugh then don't laugh too hard at me cos Im just a lil girl but I need to ask this Q:

A guy at work, Steve, who calls himself a mechanic (he worked at a garage for about two years before moving into sales) has some friend with a Ford Probe. Fair play, sounds like this guys really enthusiastic for Probes cos Steve talks about it quite a lot and updates me on what he's had done. I THINK its a v6 but not 100% on that. Anyway he was on about individual throttle bodies (which I have limited knowledge on) and superchargers. Steve said that Mac or Max whatever he's called was planning on getting throttle bodies and then a supercharger later on down the line.

Is that possible? Because from what my cousin taught me, I thought the idea of throttle bodies was to feed air into each cylinder seperately. A supercharger would force more air into the engine anyway wouldn't it? Or could the supercharger force air into each cylinder and supply even more air? So far as I can work out, even if it did make some improvement it wouldn't be a great deal - not worth the ££s of a supercharger (think he said nearly £3k). Either way it sounds very costly to get both!!

Someone please shed some light, you can be quite technical, for all I'm a bimbo :D

Hello :D

Supercharging would generally still utilise the inlet manifold/plenum assembly and would be mounted on top of this. With some mods done this would then need to be remapped via a custom ecu to get the best from the system.

Throttle bodies are more motorsport orientated and are a stand alone affair and will not work with a supercharger as you have rightly pointed out as these feed each cylinder.

Both are expensive and will depend upon what the car is to be used for. Throttle bodies are normally available in two types straight and crossover and again dependant upon power output required, custom ecu, loom and 285+ spec cams. Not really suitable for road use, more track.

Supercharging can be problematic if the fuelling is not set up right and better suited to road use when sorted.

Throttle bodies are more motorsport orientated and are a stand alone affair and will not work with a supercharger as you have rightly pointed out as these feed each cylinder.

But YB Cosworth turbo engines have individual inlet tracts fed by a plenum chamber. Wouldn't this work with throttle bodies?

Possibly if enough R&D was thrown at it, nothing is impossible. The throttle body design is to get the most air in direct to head. Would be interesting to see what could be married up.

And it will also be putting up his insurance premium alot, thats if he can find someone to insure him with all those engine mods.

It'll be interesting when I get my NOS installed! :amuse:

I will be interested in your experiences. When I discussed NOS with AF a couple of years back, they were still looking for insurers that were prepared to seriously consider it.

I will be interested in your experiences. When I discussed NOS with AF a couple of years back, they were still looking for insurers that were prepared to seriously consider it.

My mates ZS has nitrous, coilovers, 18s, exhaust, induction and the BTCC livery, all of his mods are declared and no issues at all with the NOS. Just need to give him a poke as to where he gets his insured ;)

A Ford Probe,

Uses a Mazda derived 2.5 V6. The Probe ceased production due to poor sales and image I believe (too many hairdressers buying them?).
If he can find after-market parts for that I'd be very surprised.
Most people talk, some do.

A Ford Probe,

Uses a Mazda derived 2.5 V6. The Probe ceased production due to poor sales and image I believe (too many hairdressers buying them?).
If he can find after-market parts for that I'd be very surprised.
Most people talk, some do.

Yeah they died off cause they was basically crap. I know someone with the 2.0 16v version and it's always breaking down. It's had loads of electrical faults.

well this also goes into what you call a throttle body as well
every car has one be it in many forms
but the bigger the body the more air that can get in so more fuel can get in so faster it goes and you can bolt a superchager on and that will bring a few bhp but there is so little room under the bonnet of a ford v6 there wont be room

if i was him i would sell it and get a better car never liked them lol dont think many peoel did thats why not many people bought them

well this also goes into what you call a throttle body as well
every car has one be it in many forms
but the bigger the body the more air that can get in so more fuel can get in so faster it goes and you can bolt a superchager on and that will bring a few bhp but there is so little room under the bonnet of a ford v6 there wont be room

if i was him i would sell it and get a better car never liked them lol dont think many peoel did thats why not many people bought them

No. Fuel can only flow as fast as the fuel pump/injectors.