Snow and ice causing major potholes

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you thought the roads were bad just take another look after they thaw out.

I'm seeing loads of new and fairly large potholes.

I can only assume that the freezing and thawing is causing the road surface to crack and is forming pot holes.

What is this like round where you are?

It's terrible round here it's like being on the dodgems trying to avoid them.
My car has already been took out by a pothole when my mum was driving it Christmas Day.

yeah theres a few more potholes now.
what happens is the water is getting into the little cracks/ joins in the surface and freezing as the water expands it forces the tar apart. or course if youve been lucky to have had some salt put down then it melts it slightly allowing more water in which them freezes again .

surprised the road at work isnt in pieces it normally is after a slight rain never mind what its had to put up with over the last few months

happening round here as well, we only got about a week of snow, when it thawed however what was revealed was not good, on an outward journey the road was fine, on the homeward drive, i though i was crashing - they appeared in a day!

they seem to be particularly bad around repairs and changes in the road surface, guess thats where the water gets in.

I think we have a patch it up culture here. It is fine to a point but as soon as we get adverse weather like this it shows it up as a false economy.

We need more investement in our road networks. Now where to get the money from? Perhaps all car drivers should be asked to pay a tax towards the roads? (Road tax anyone?):lol:

I think we have a patch it up culture here. It is fine to a point but as soon as we get adverse weather like this it shows it up as a false economy.

We need more investement in our road networks. Now where to get the money from? Perhaps all car drivers should be asked to pay a tax towards the roads? (Road tax anyone?):lol:

You get what you pay for. For example, my budget for maintaining approx 500km of carriageway this year is £400.000 = £800/km. A permanent repair to a 'normal' sized pothole costs around £1-300 depending on size, depth, location in carriageway, road width, traffic volume etc. If I spent the whole budget on pot holes I could fix around 2000. However, this budget is also used for repairing edge of carriageway overrun damage, subsidence and heave (a growing problem in recent years).

Although I agree with Waynne that patching isn't the best way to repair a road, it is the best we can manage with the available resourses. The cost of planing and resurfacing a carriageway is around £20-30/m2 when done in large areas (>1000m2). I could spend my budget very quickly that way! 15 roads and money is spent. I, therefore, have to spend the budget sensibly and as I have no chance of repairing every defect I have to make difficult judgements every day on which jobs to order and which to delay.

If a pothole repair is done properly (not aways the case) it will last many years. Most potholes appearing now are new ones.

I find that I am able to avoid potholes by doing what the highway code advises - Look ahead. If you hit a pot hole you were not looking where you were going :) If you didn't see the pot hole, would you see a cyclist or child at the same location?

Highway authorities are only liable for damage to your car if they haven't adhered to their maintenance policy. If the hole has appeared since the last scheduled inspection and they have not been advised of its location prior to you hitting it they are not liable. As many roads have an inspection frequency of every 3 months or more, a lot of holes have appeared since the last inspection so bear this in mind.

You get what you pay for. For example, my budget for maintaining approx 500km of carriageway this year is £400.000 = £800/km. A permanent repair to a 'normal' sized pothole costs around £1-300 depending on size, depth, location in carriageway, road width, traffic volume etc. If I spent the whole budget on pot holes I could fix around 2000. However, this budget is also used for repairing edge of carriageway overrun damage, subsidence and heave (a growing problem in recent years).

Although I agree with Waynne that patching isn't the best way to repair a road, it is the best we can manage with the available resourses. The cost of planing and resurfacing a carriageway is around £20-30/m2 when done in large areas (>1000m2). I could spend my budget very quickly that way! 15 roads and money is spent. I, therefore, have to spend the budget sensibly and as I have no chance of repairing every defect I have to make difficult judgements every day on which jobs to order and which to delay.

If a pothole repair is done properly (not aways the case) it will last many years. Most potholes appearing now are new ones.

I find that I am able to avoid potholes by doing what the highway code advises - Look ahead. If you hit a pot hole you were not looking where you were going :) If you didn't see the pot hole, would you see a cyclist or child at the same location?

Highway authorities are only liable for damage to your car if they haven't adhered to their maintenance policy. If the hole has appeared since the last scheduled inspection and they have not been advised of its location prior to you hitting it they are not liable. As many roads have an inspection frequency of every 3 months or more, a lot of holes have appeared since the last inspection so bear this in mind.

I hold the council liable for my alloy having a hole in it since my mum hit a pothole that had a grate sticking out about 3 inch. It was a huge hole as well and it was down right dangerous. It could only be seen when you was on top of it due to it being fairly dark and poor conditions.

It's not your fault you don't have the budget OG.

Sadly everything is cut back to the bone in this economy and this is in the long term going to be more detrimental. In victorian times we invested heavily in the future. Ideed the London sewage system is still pretty much what the victorian engineers put in place as they built something much larger and with more capacity than they ever imagined would be needed.

This just wouldn't happen today.