Security

CitizenErazed

Torque Junkie
Car
1.4 Tigra MK1
I'm assuming due to the nature of this site that most people on here will have fairly flash cars, either expensive to start with or modified to such, so I was wondering what you all do about security?

I hardly have the flashest of cars but have had it vandalized twice in 2 weeks, more irritating then anything but it means if I was ever to get my car sprayed then I would just get keyed and loose a lot of money. I had thought about putting one of those sensors on, the ones that go 'please step away from the vehicle' when people get too close, but I live on a caravan site, with people walking past all the time and parking close to me, so not really practical.

As for preventing the car getting stolen, I once test drove a Peugeot that you had to put in a security code, into a little number pad near the gearstick, before you could start the engine, I'm not sure what that was but it looked like a dam good idea!

So what does everyone else do to avoid getting vandalized or stolen? As surely we drive prime targets?

sorry mate cant help you on this, mines just has the standard alarm / imobiliser. only other things ive done is activated the anti hijack ( doors lock automaticaly above 10mph ) and a second set of locking wheel nuts
carputer also requires a code to get into the settings if i want. so noone can use it while its in the garage

also live in a pretty quiet place anyway

got a clifford alarm fitted to the scoob, house has 2 security cameras and 3 security lights.

my old peugeot 106 (96) had a keypad infront of the gearstick, was a great idea, could program a 'garage' code in aswell if you needed to leave it with a garage, this was automatically cancelled out once normal user code was entered so you didnt have to keep changing your code all the time.

problem is nowadays there is more mindless vandelisim (sp) that anything else so unless car is garaged 24/7 there is not alot you can do to stop someone just smashing a window or keying the paintwork :(

Last edited:
It depends on the area you live in. I suspect that car crime will increase as the recession bites.

Park in well lit areas. The passive "step away from the car" alarms just attract attention. The aim has to be to make the car less attractive to the other ones in the street. You also need to avoid attracting attention. Dont play the music loud or drive aggressively especially near where the car is parked up.

A physical disk lock will help reduce theft but you can't beat a good alarm/immobiliser and some form of anti jack protection.

I think my Tigras got that anti hijack as the doors lock when you turn the key in the ignition. By carputer do you mean an accessible engine management system like they have on some BMWs Mercs and Jap cars?

got a Clifford alarm fitted to the scoob, house has 2 security cameras and 3 security lights.

my old peugeot 106 (96) had a keypad infront of the gearstick, was a great idea, could program a 'garage' code in aswell if you needed to leave it with a garage, this was automatically cancelled out once normal user code was entered so you didnt have to keep changing your code all the time.

problem is nowadays there is more mindless vandalism (sp) that anything else so unless car is garaged 24/7 there is not a lot you can do to stop someone just smashing a window or keying the paintwork

Their's a security light over my car, problem is I'm in the staff section and we all work at once so light or no when we're at work it's easy pickings. I'm thinking of setting up a camera in my caravan window though, hope it doesn't upset the neighbors

Yeh your peugeot sounds like it had the same thing I was talking about with that test drive, can this be purchased or does it just come with some cars?

What benefits do Clifford alarms give (as someone who's not sure what they do)

Yeh I think you're right in that theirs not much I can do, the first time they let all the air out of my tyres but that was easily countered as I just got locking valve caps, but this time they've popped out my side indicator lights and tried to pop out my actual lights. Guess I'll just have to see if I can catch them on camera, it's not going to heal my poor car though

It sounds like someone has a grudge against you. Camera evidence and get the police involved.

Unlucky mate,
cliffard alarms have higher sensitivity than most cars basic. they can also have sensors that notice when the cars lifted ie trying to get at the wheels etc

by carputer i mean i dont have a convential cd/dvd player in the car rather than hijack look here when im leaving the car i pause the music and lock the program nothing can be changed

just get a big dog on a plastic coated chain and make sure he can get to any point within about 10 feet of the car. just make sure he isn't one with a puppy mentality (wants to be friendly to everyone) I let my dogs run wherever they want on my property, but i live in the sticks so i can do that.

j/k used to live in an RV park, bout the same as your caravan sites i would think. Camera and a good alarm are about the best you can do. that and try to make nice with your neighbors so they keep an eye out on your gear and vice versa. may not help late at night but could give you an idea about whos out and about when the damage happens. if you want to deter damage and not just catch the one responsible, put up a motion activated security light that lights the entire area where you park (if you park next to your caravan). people are less likely to do mischief when the area is well lit.

i dont have any thing on the 2 of mine one of them is unlocked all the time they are so easy to break in to there is no point really doing any thing to them
plus its more mess under the bonnet that i idont want if any one steals the one out side the house i would hear it any way well the whole road does lol

the other one is left at work nder cover with a dead motor infront of it

It sounds like someone has a grudge against you. Camera evidence and get the police involved.

Yeh I'm thinking someone has something against me in all, I can't imagine who though so I'm assuming they're just attacking the car out of jealousy or whatever (though it's hardly a lambo) I'll be setting up a camera in my window and if I catch them then as you say, police.

Unlucky mate,
cliffard alarms have higher sensitivity than most cars basic. they can also have sensors that notice when the cars lifted ie trying to get at the wheels etc

by carputer i mean i dont have a convential cd/dvd player in the car rather than hijack look here when im leaving the car i pause the music and lock the program nothing can be changed

Clifford alarms sound a good idea then, and as I still want to get hold of that keypad ignition if possible.
Your carputer looks really good, I'll comment in that thread latter though to avoid getting threads crossed over (cross-stitching :lol:)

just get a big dog on a plastic coated chain and make sure he can get to any point within about 10 feet of the car.

if you want to deter damage and not just catch the one responsible, put up a motion activated security light that lights the entire area where you park (if you park next to your caravan). people are less likely to do mischief when the area is well lit.

Hmm I have always wanted some Pyrenees mountain dogs:lol: the strange thing is the area is very well lit. Hopefully the camera will work. I think at the moment I’m mostly wanting to know who it is that’s got it in for my car actually, they've not done anything major yet, but they do seem to be working their way up, it'll be the windows next I bet!

i dont have any thing on the 2 of mine one of them is unlocked all the time they are so easy to break in to there is no point really doing any thing to them

Wow, you're really trusting! Must live in a pretty nice neighborhood!

Hmm I have always wanted some Pyrenees mountain dogs the strange thing is the area is very well lit. Hopefully the camera will work. I think at the moment I’m mostly wanting to know who it is that’s got it in for my car actually, they've not done anything major yet, but they do seem to be working their way up, it'll be the windows next I bet!

True but bright lights that turn on suddenly do draw extra attention. also will provide extra light for your cam. but if you say it is well lit then just make sure you have your cam at an angle where it won't catch glare off another caravan or your window. used to work security and you would be amazed at the number of times glare blanks out faces due to poorly places cams. also go for one with night vision if you find there isn't enough light to see clearly. and test it out first to make sure your angle and the light are good for catching a decent shot of the face.

Last edited:
Wow, you're really trusting! Must live in a pretty nice neighborhood!

no not really there is not a nice place in chatham just any one that would do that sort of thing round here i went to school with them and plus last car to be touched on my road was a good few years ago when there was a police case and they did a running jumped into a car at the end of the road started it steering lock come on and crashed it the other side of the road

cheers for the advice Wcnwzrd! I'll give everything a good tryout, I hadn't even thought of glare, thanks! :) I've got everything now, just need a tape to record, I've tried to make it so it's not noticable, I was told by someone to make it obvious to deter them, but I don't want to deter them I want to catch the... so and so's >.>

Found out today though that it's not just my car, someone else on site got their bumper splitt, it's nice to know it's not just a grudge against me Lol :bigsmile: Still want to catch them though

and Lutonmatt, that sounds like a rather unique method of car security, be mates with the crooks :lol: bet the guy who jumped into that car felt a bit of a berk!

ya best of all he got nicked any way but was only a metro not the fastest of cars

but my motors are so easy to nick anyway having the t tops why really make it hard for them and a pain for me as the way i see it if they want to seal your car they will and if you have all the rubbish on there and you do get the car back the wiring is going to be a mess and all the dash trim is going to be broken