Saab 9000 tuning tips

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Its one of those meaningless phrases but typically Stage 1 is a mild state of tune suitable for the road. You expect your standard service intervals and good reliability.

Stage 2 is a fast road setup where comfort is sacrificed a little for better handling. Service intervals are reduced and reliability is average.

Stage 3 I view as a full competition setup. Not really suitable for the road as the engine is tuned to the max for peak power. It will generally be lumpy at low rpm levels and will need regular attention/rebuilds.

Anyone else care to define the "stage X" tuning phrases? Am I being too harsh?

c130fxr

Tuner
From
Warner Robins GA
Car
94 Saab 9000 Aero
Depends on what you base stage tuning on. What you described I would say is more accurate for the cars as a whole ie motor trany suspension etc. With my saab I have found that it they do the stages just on engine performance and it goes well past stage 3. Maptun a Saab specialty company goes all the way to stage 7 :blink:. Pretty much it goes like this....

stage 1- cold air intake
stage 2- cai and aftermarket exhaust
stage 3- cai 3in exhaust and a ecu remap
stage 4- stage 3 with bigger injectors upgrade factory turbo componets
stage 5- bigger turbo etc...

as you can see the stage process just describe at what point in your build that you have reach since each stage builds upon the last. And by doing this reliability still stays pretty well intact. Just in case your curious my car is factory with 225 hp. Stage 3 should bring me in the neighborhood of 320 hp. Stage 7 brings you to 515hp more that double the factory setup and extremely hard to handle but fun!:D

c130fxr

Tuner
From
Warner Robins GA
Car
94 Saab 9000 Aero
Well I have an update. After a month of waiting for the exhaust it finally arrived from Sweden. All I have to say is the sound is AWESOME and the performance matches :D:D:D . Along with the 3in from the turbo back (no cat) I also installed a cold air intake (home built) which is made of Inconel a super alloy that disapates heat like crazy. Now to get a stage 3 tune for the ECU and I should be close to the 300 hp mark. I will try to upload some pics to my gallery later.