Removing oil filters

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
From
Alone in the dark.
Car
Insignia SRI.
When you've drained the oil have you tried jacking up the rear of the car? Might help keep the oil in the filter.
And I guess you warm the engine before draining?

T9 man

TC ModFather
From
London, UK
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
I love Machine Mart, that looks like quite a substantial tool and amazingly enough, change from a ten pound note :amazed:

pgarner

TC ModFather
From
Lockerbie, SW Scotland
Car
Octy smoke machine
i use what loz has got as well.

had to use a set of stilstons on the wifes as the golf has a large nut on the end of the filter and the tool wouldnt go over it

HDi fun

TC ModFather
From
Buckinghamshire UK
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Considering spin on filters it's a good idea to not just oil the rubber gasket but also to clean the mating surface where it meets the engine block.

Significant lower arm strength helps the removal process - I have plenty of that - but if it's 'glued' itself to the block the none of us have a chance without some mechanical leverage assistance.

Yugguy

Torque King
From
Rugby (expat Preston lad)
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
Considering spin on filters it's a good idea to not just oil the rubber gasket but also to clean the mating surface where it meets the engine block.

Significant lower arm strength helps the removal process - I have plenty of that - but if it's 'glued' itself to the block the none of us have a chance without some mechanical leverage assistance.
Aye, and a lot of time with canisters they're buried somewhere at the bottom of the engine surrounded by gearbox and drive axles and you just can't get your hands round it.

jarrus

Pro Tuner
From
West Midlands, UK
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport

Sound like you excersise that part of your anatomy quite regually...

jarrus

Pro Tuner
From
West Midlands, UK
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
I saw your post and I thought of that straight away, surely someone else was thinking it as well...
I mean it couldn't have been more obvious,

(sorry my spelling is rubbish)

Richard1

Torque Junkie
From
Tarija, Bolivia
Car
Renault Dauphine
We have to pull about 40 or 50 a day. On 90% we use the type that looks like curved pliers. Another small percent require the chain or rubber strap. Then there are some that require the screwdriver punched through it.

One required a pipe wrench after disintegrating the filter. Turns out they had put the filter on with locktite.

You should always put oil on the new filter gasket, and never tighten more than it indicates on the filter. That amount varies from filter to filter

jarrus

Pro Tuner
From
West Midlands, UK
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
Hand tight is enough, but then I would suggest just slightly looser (and I do mean slightly) as the filter will get "glued" there somewhat, mines not so much a problem as it gets changed every 6k miles. Probably overkill on the oil I use but it's what peugoet recommend and my car runs a smoky tune so is better for it.

gummy

Torque Master
From
england heathfield
Car
skyline r34 gtt
usually can undo by hand ,to us a tool on them is sometimes awkward because of where they are!i put a relocation kit on my skyline to make it easier!!.

Richard1

Torque Junkie
From
Tarija, Bolivia
Car
Renault Dauphine
Every filter has an arrow and instructions as to how much of a turn it requires. It depends on the gasket. sometimes 1/2 turn, sometimes 3/4, etc. Look at the filter.

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
The BMW's filter (M52TUB engine) is located in a 'bucket' right at the top adjacent to the PAS reservoir. This is brilliant, for me, anyway. Even I can get a 32mm socket onto the lid - open it - lift out the filter element and drop in a new one, taking no more than about 10 minutes in the process.
Similar to mine mate. I used an inside-out sandwich bag, put my hand inside, pulled the old filter out, turn the bag the right way and put a tie on the top. Job done.

gummy

Torque Master
From
england heathfield
Car
skyline r34 gtt
Usually hand tight so easy to undo,have used different types of undoing devices over the years,but a chain wrench was always the best,bought a claw type thing from halfords to do the capri it cost about £24 a few years back!it was useless its sat in the garage collecting dust.I bet most people have got tools like that kickin around!.