Regulating mechanics like Corgi

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think there is an arguement for the regulation of mechanics like the system for electricians and plumbers?

It can be scary when you think about someone with little or no formal training doing major work on their car. This is probably more likely to result in an injury or death than a bit of bad plumbing or electrical work?

How would a system like this be policed?

What sort of mechanical work should be more regulated? Brakes, engine and handling perhaps?

I think thats a very bad idea,

1. The mechanics/ garages will have to pay for membership etc etc putting up their rates to compensate, which will be passed on to the motorist.

2. After a while as has happenend to both gas and electrical services, the goverment will say you cant work on your own car at home/anywhere without a certificate that you will have to go on a course for diploma etc and pay subs every year and have your work checked over by an inspector, he will then produce you with a certificate,which will have to be produced as part of the MOT.

So to sum it up in a nutshell, it will be bye bye to any DIY modifications and servicing, well all you will be able to do is drive your car thats it. Police state ????

So no thank you.

I started my life in the building trade and have been in it for 28 years, I am able and have been trained to do everything, which I did do until they started putting in to operation all these's must have's, I did get my corgi...which ive now stopped, I said no to the part P for electrics and now I cant fit PVC windows without being a member of FENSA and I can do all the above to a very very high standard but to have all these things to do my job today would cost:approx £8000 a year just to give me a card/piece of paper saying I can do it although I was doing them before any of these schemes surfaced.....all they are is a money making enterprise that simple.

If it happens to the motor trade the minute Im aware of it im in there like a rat up a drain pipe as there will be loads of money to be made...

Last edited:
i say no as well but is a good idea on paper

there are a few bodys around that do it like kite mark or something like that but every one in them wishes they was not as the money they payed out to be in it
they have no more work out of it and its a load more paper work

i am all for getting rod of these garages who dont have a clue what they are doing as it give us better garages a bad name and i know a few garages like it

but way forward in the motor trade is mots when i get my own place sorted i will many only doing tests and the odd job here and there as theres money in mots not to much in workshop work

but at the end of the day we all make mistakes i have made a few leaving bolts out or not doing them up due to being rushed or called away but lucky they have not been bad ones

agree with the above, no. not being able to work on your own car due to legislation would just be criminal. So many people enjoy taking time out and doing this - it really would become a police state as marti5 mentioned

I have to agree but looking at the regulation with electrics we have really stupid situations where a kitchen or bathroom fitter needs to get in a qualified electrician to connect up a simple circuit or he has to sit and register under the Part P regs.

It is just not economically viable especially as a fitter needs the job doing there and then otherwise the whole job gets held up while they wait for an electrician.

We are in this mess due to cowboys and the legislation whilst supposed to weed these out actually just makes life harder for everyone else. The cowboys will then ignore the regs and carry on regardless so we have to ask what is the point?

Sadly - in the motor trade I can forsee a time where the cowboys will create a "need" for tighter regulation.