Q Plated Cars

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
What are your feelings about buying Q Plate cars? Does it put you off or would it not bother you?

EDIT: By Q Plate I mean if it's got a Q Plate because it's been heavily modified for performance or completley transformed. Sorry should have made that clear!!!

Last edited:
it should be ok to buy 1 cause to get a registration plate it would have had to have an engineers report done on it

cause iirc q plates where only put on kit cars, insurance write offs

If it was a kit car then I would certainly consider it. On a standard car I would need to know a lot more about the cars history.

Q plates are usually issued to cars where the age is unknown (i.e., a major rebuild or a kit car). I understand they can also be issued if a driver has misrepresented their registration and not corrected it.

It's worth checking insurance details first - I understand it can be difficult to insure them.

generally if they have been so heavily modified that they require a Q plate they will have been out thriough a SVA test. might be tempted depending n what it was.

all goes on what it is if i like it then i will buy it q plate or not
next thing would be getting insured as most dont like q plates

I don't see Q plates lasting much longer as its a lot easier to transer plates these days so long as the new registration does not make the car appear younger than it is - in otherwords I couldn't put a 55 reg plate on my 95 car, although I could have anything before 'N' on the old system and anything at all from the system before that.

Gone are the days when you would need to find a number plate for your import that matched the year it was manufactured.

It's mainly there for vehicles that don't have certification for the origin of every part.

Furhter, once a Q has been applied, it's damn near impossible to get rid of - it needs a special application to be made.