Puncture repair

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Just paid £24 (inc VAT) to have a simple puncture repair carried out. Seems a bit steep to me, though did include valve and balance.

Still seems a bit steep. Some people only pay £24 for a tyre!!

Mate, the price garages are going, thats not too bad. I know its a simple rubber stopper, but they way they look at it is they charge say £40 an hour. It took half hour to remove the wheel, tyre, put the stopper in, put the tyre back onto the rim, balance, and back onto the car. They prob say half hour labour and £4 for the rubber bung.

I always get work done like that buy a mate. I know a few lads that will do it for me. I was shocked when I had my cat put on before my MOT. That cost £35!!!! 4 bolts! That is £8.74 per bolt to take out and put back in!!!

Garages are a rubbish now days. I remember that anything simple like that they would do for next to nothing, so they would get your custom the next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
We get charged about £12 down our way. If you drive in with a BMW the fees are doubled though!

We get charged about £12 down our way. If you drive in with a BMW the fees are doubled though!

That's probably not totally adrift of the truth. I don't know this particular outfit but had to use them because of the flattie. Didn't fancy driving 24 miles to my regular place which charges me a tenner. And I doubt they'd have ben happy had I filled the tyre with tyre weld.

was the repair close to the side wall? that involves a different type of repair, which would cost more

was the repair close to the side wall? that involves a different type of repair, which would cost more

When I have had punctures in the past by the side wall, the tyre has been written off! Something about within 20mm of the tread is a no no!

Wrong, repairs are permitted close to the sidewall and on the sidewall itself if you are a qualified tyre repairer (as I am) it is classed as a major repair. with the equipment for example heated vulcanizing press.

I was a tyre fitter years ago and tbh I wouldn't touch a sidewall repair.
Mind you back then the tools we used was fairly basic. I imagine things have moved on loads since then. And I dare bet tyre's are alot better than back then.

there is a bloke near me thats charges between £10-£15 depending on the type of puncture, could have got a part worn for that price fully fitted

Wrong, repairs are permitted close to the sidewall and on the sidewall itself if you are a qualified tyre repairer (as I am) it is classed as a major repair. with the equipment for example heated vulcanizing press.

This is worrying, I have had two examples of a puncture within 20mm on the sidewall due to B&Q car park spilt screws I think, and both Kwik-Fit and Saabcity (Main dealers) who repaired 1 puncture each; insisted that it's a new tyre that's required. At £260 for the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 that I was running on at the time, I would hate to think that they both told me porkies when it could have been repaired for about £25 :sad2:

there is a bloke near me thats charges between £10-£15 depending on the type of puncture, could have got a part worn for that price fully fitted

Something I'd never do to be honest. If the tyre was down to about 3mm of tread I'd have fitted a new one along with a matching one opposite side.

Mismatched tyres serious upset the handling balance of any car.

Something I'd never do to be honest. If the tyre was down to about 3mm of tread I'd have fitted a new one along with a matching one opposite side.

Mismatched tyres serious upset the handling balance of any car.

ive never had a problem with odd tyres and i'm a quick driver, sometimes you have £25 to spend on a tyre but not £100 each for new ones, depends on how you are fixed at the time

I had a set of Viking Protech II on the Peugeot for a year or so and these came with free puncture repairs for life and also a road damage warranty.

But the tyres really didn't suit me so after the first foray so upon their wear out time I fitted Contis again.

I have in the dim distant part used mis matched tyres and found the results not to my liking but I am a very fussy driver, bordering on neurotic to be honest. :-(