Powered rear wing

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I have just bought a replacement spoiler motor assembly for my daughter's Corrado and I got to thinking.........it may be useful to make any wing that I may have to fit to the Elan adjustable either from the cockpit or by vehicle speed or both. This would allow the wing to be feathered during high speed runs and to assist in high speed braking.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions as to a better motor assembly I could use?

Last edited:
You could also use it as an air brake!:D

A 2 stage is a good idea, increasing the downforce with speed makes sense. Are you worried about the extra weight though?

You could also use it as an air brake!:D

A 2 stage is a good idea, increasing the downforce with speed makes sense. Are you worried about the extra weight though?

You really need to read my thread properly :)

The weight of the mechanism is only 2kg and will be behind the rear wheels, so will aid traction. I would hope that this plus being able to adjust downforce will more than compensate for the extra weight.

I'm not sure the adaptability would justify the extra weight, otherwise someone else would have done it all ready.

It has been done, Bugatti Veyron for example. Most, racing classes have banned inflight movable wings and spoilers. However, I am not aware that TOTB has yet :)

If it's adjustable with speed then any downforce it generates would have to be taken fought against by the servo?

I've always wondered how they get round that, I think the Veyron system is hydraulic though.
Just thinking, if you wanted a two stage wing you could make it spring loaded, so it's set for down-force off the line & then can be moved to an air-brake position in one move. Then it just needs resetting before the next run. :)

The Mk1 & Mk2 GTO's have active aero's front and rear. They go up at 50 mph and down at 30 mph.
These do rely on quite a lot of electrics, the system has it's own ECU and they pick up a signal from the speed sensor, but they are switchable from on/off so in theory the motor from the rear aero could be controlled by an independent supply and switch.