Pointless driving for fun

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When was the last time you just jumped in your car and for a drive with no actual destination in mind? Driving for the pure pleasure of driving?

It's been a while since I did this but now the summer weather is upon us I think it is time for a cross country blat!

I haven't for a while. I used to go to a pub every Sunday night, regardless of the weather so I could enjoy a drive and some time with my friends before the weekend was completly gone.

With the Fiesta driving was sometimes a chore so less so in that.

These days I have lots of bills to pay so I can't always afford to go for a long drive but I often take detours or different routes on my way home from work in the evening. Depends if I'm busy that evening I suppose.

In 12 years of driving, six on the road next month I've never got bored of driving so I try to drive for drving's sake else I might get bored. One of the major draws in domestic holidays for me is the drive there. I love going along the A303 late at night/early in the morning on my way to Cornwall. I even like driving in London in the wee hours when there's less traffic and you can set your own pace.

every sunday morning, some saturdays, and the odd week night when in the UK, Driving from work is just not relaxing unlike the sunday morning blast. I'm suprised petrol/torque heads don't do this. Comuters!? I guess motorcyclists do it more than car drivers. I suppose if you had elises or sevens you'd do it more....

Everyday this week

had a bit of a craving for driving this week so have spent most of just wandering about,

the truck aint to bad on petrol either (for a 3ltr v6 lol) so makes it easier just to randomly drive without having to watch the fuel guage every 2 seconds :)

Good stuff. I think I did more pointless miles when I had a motorcycle years ago. I'd sometimes go home from work and ride straight past the house just to keep riding, or go out at midnight just to ride all night when the roads were empty

Good stuff. I think I did more pointless miles when I had a motorcycle years ago. I'd sometimes go home from work and ride straight past the house just to keep riding, or go out at midnight just to ride all night when the roads were empty

yep defo done that before lol, case of ....... right i'll go home now, get there and its a nope just a few more miles than i'll go home.

completly different sort of random driving when you on a bike though, especially when its a solo ride and its just you and the road :)

I'm sure we've all done this on multiple occasions. My enthusiasm has been somewhat dampened since the RTA in June. Which is a shame because I feel that something's been taken from me that I previously enjoyed.

The bmw even if ragged to hell still got around 15mpg I used to do that all the time but the XJS on the rare occasion that it is working I dont trust to it break down on random drives for the sake of it.

I'm sure we've all done this on multiple occasions. My enthusiasm has been somewhat dampened since the RTA in June. Which is a shame because I feel that something's been taken from me that I previously enjoyed.

You will get back into it, it just takes a bit of time that's all:blink1:. You will probably take fewer risks, not that you were a risk taker before. I've always found that accidents improve a drivers skills of perception and caution.

Personally I absolutely adore just driving and seeing where I end up (sat nav comes in handy here lol). I don't manage to get out and do it anywhere near as much as I'd like.

Some cars are great car to own.
Others are great to drive
There is no comparison as far as driving experience goes.

There are cars to have if you don't feel like driving - but just want to get somewhere and cars which you drive