Performance Induction Kits

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
Hi guys,

New to the forum, so sorry if this question is in the wrong place.

I'm planning on buying a 2.5L V6 and fitting a cold air induction kit. This might be a bit of a simplistic question... but the manufacturer is selling me a 2.5L V6 Cold air induction kit. Could I not just fit a kit for say... a 3.5L V6 and get better even less retstrained induction?

Are there problems for fitting a kit for a bigger engine or is it just not worth it? Because price wise there's pretty much nothing in it.

Richard.

Hi guys,

New to the forum, so sorry if this question is in the wrong place.

I'm planning on buying a 2.5L V6 and fitting a cold air induction kit. This might be a bit of a simplistic question... but the manufacturer is selling me a 2.5L V6 Cold air induction kit. Could I not just fit a kit for say... a 3.5L V6 and get better even less retstrained induction?

Are there problems for fitting a kit for a bigger engine or is it just not worth it? Because price wise there's pretty much nothing in it.

Richard.
the filter its self will probably be the same size its the hole on the end of the filter that is probably different to fit the intake hose/pipe

just make sure if you go down the road of an induction kit that you give it enough supply of cold air otherwise it will suck in the warm air of the engine and you could end up loosing power

give it enough supply of cold air otherwise it will suck in the warm air of the engine and you could end up loosing power

That's another question. This engine hopefully won't be nasp when I'm done with it, so would it be better to find a cold air induction kit or a short ram and intercooler? Any thoughts?

That's another question. This engine hopefully won't be nasp when I'm done with it, so would it be better to find a cold air induction kit or a short ram and intercooler? Any thoughts?

an intercooler is always a good idea with forced induction to help keep intake temps as low as possible but from what i have read (personally never gone down this route) ram air is only affective at higher speeds so cant really comment from personal experience

so if you do end up going for forced induction on your v6 either go for the induction kit (with a cold air feed maybe a heat shield) or the standard airbox with a performance panel filter and if possible upgrade your cold air feed or add an additional 1

hope this helps!! :bigsmile:

on a forced induction engine a cold air induction kit isnt really nessessary as the turbo/supercharger will increase the air temp massively the intercooler is more important

on a forced induction engine a cold air induction kit isnt really nessessary as the turbo/supercharger will increase the air temp massively the intercooler is more important

This. The amount of air is more important especially in high boost applications. If I were you OP, I'd get a CAI kit with a good feed while it's N/A, then switch to a big juicy cone filter or simular when you boost it.

IMO BMC CDA do the best closed IKs in terms of value for money versus effectiveness. They're better than K&N, not quite as good as ITGs but ITG are a lot more.

Had a BMC CDA on my ZS180, 2.5V6, and it definitely helped top-end breathing.

IMO BMC CDA do the best closed IKs in terms of value for money versus effectiveness.

BMC CDA looks good. I know it's probably just a tab to cover their own backs but it says on the BMC website that their CDA filters should only be used on tracks, not on roads. Is there any real reason or do they just not want people who pootle to work and back suddenly realising they've got too much power? :lol:

Also, is ITG much better? I'm willing to put in the money if it significantly helps performance.

To put things into perspective here, ITG offer a bespoke kit for the said MG ZS180 and offers a 10bhp increase, proven, but at around £350 a tad expensive. I fitted one to a friends 180, nice kit but not worth the money. I bought a BMC CDA and all the necessary silicon hoses and pipework for around £180. Same gains for alot less money. As for the track only bit, who checks this and how can they police it? There is nothing special inside, the usual vortex moulding and carbon fibre can. The most important features of any induction kit is the location of the filter away from engine heat and the location of the cold air feed.

Another friend has an open cone in inner wing, decat and Janspeed exhaust, after a remap gave 194bhp. (Standard is 177)

Mine has BMC, decat, Janspeed and remap gave 200. So the filter/caf combination does help. (I have the 85-150 kit, best fit for throttle body)

Pay the money for a quality kit and execute it correctly to get maximum gains. Fit and forget, apart from servicing ;)

Mine has been on for 4 years and has done some 50k miles, faultless and had no questions asked, it is also a declared modification with my insurers.

Mine has been on for 4 years and has done some 50k miles, faultless and had no questions asked, it is also a declared modification with my insurers.

The same with the BMC CDA I have on my Mk2 Punto, been on for two years, no hassle, just clean and oil every 6 months if that. No proven gians but definately opened up the top end noticably. I also agree 100% with Stamford about the most important thing being the cold air feed.

The only thing is, the supplied feed is crap really. You want a smooth feed, not the ribbed one they supply.