Flywheel lightening & performance gains from lighter flywheels

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Lightening the flywheel – the flywheel works in a similar way to the wheel in the toy cars you used to rev up and release and let it zoom off. The heavy wheel located between the engine and the gearbox builds up rotational force with speed and momentum. Effectively storing the energy and helping the car resist changes in engine speed - good for cruising at a steady speed but bad when you need a fast engine response.

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

I'm having a custom SMF build with the new clutch and asked about a lightened flywheel as I had one on the previous car and it made a big difference to acceleration, but they've recommended keeping the smf the same weight as the old DMF or just take a couple KGs off instead of fitting their lightened flywheel.
Surprised me really as I've always believed a lighter flywheel was a decent mod and lien I said on the old car it really livened things up, but apparently not for a DMF car?

I'm also having a paddle clutch though, so he's recommended not going for one here especially and a heavier flywheel will be better.

Things are rarely as simple as it seems and there are so many myths and snakeoils out there it can be hard finding the most effective mod for any specific requirements you have.

Lightening/lighter flywheels is one of the many motoring mods that are misunderstood and very few people know what they are talking about. It is almost obligitary to have a lightened flywheel to prove that you are a performance expert to your friends :)

Lightening/lighter flywheels is one of the many motoring mods that are misunderstood and very few people know what they are talking about. It is almost obligitary to have a lightened flywheel to prove that you are a performance expert to your friends :)
And covering your car in stickers listing parts you only heard about in a magazine.