Parking, reverse or forwards

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When you park in a car park do you reverse in or drive in forwards?

I went to Hever castle yesterday and I was the ONLY car in the whole packed carpark to reverse into the parking space?

Am I alone? Is the whole driving world full of follow my leader unthinking sheep? Is there something wrong in reversing into a space?

I always reverse into a space. It's so much easier than going in forwards and it's also loads easier to get out as well. I'm with you on this one Waynne. I don't understand why people don't reverse in.

Depends on what car you have, the XJS is a nightmare both ways with a long boot and really long bonnet both of which you cannot see the pretruding chrome behind the bumpers, it takes sort of a 6th sense of depth perception :D

i normally reverse out, always find if i reverse in someone will pull into space behind me and practically touch bumpers which isnt good when i need to normally get pram shopping etc back into the car.

although it was fun after having reversed into a space at asda the other week feeling someone with a brand spanking new audi smash (literally) his brand spanking new front bumper off my towbar lol hee hee ooooopsy

Depends on what car you have, the XJS is a nightmare both ways with a long boot and really long bonnet both of which you cannot see the pretruding chrome behind the bumpers, it takes sort of a 6th sense of depth perception :D

agree i try and reverse in were i can as sometimes its easyer to get out but cant see the front that at all and the back i guess
but i normal park in two spaces so normaly at a angle anyway lol

one thing owning a yank car in the uk the spaces are to narrow i can fit into a normal space just cant open the doors as the car is a bout 4 inches smaller then the space so just use 2 spaces

9 times out of 10 i will drive in forward for easier access to the boot e.g. baby stuff, shopping, loading and unloading my tools

Tend to drive in forward so i can get into the boot easily. if going to reverse in some tool always trys to sneak into the space while you are going to reverse into it. (they do back of though when they notice you arent going to slow down and let them steal it)

Depends. Double spaces where both are clear - drive through to second.

Single spaces - reverse in.

Same with drives - reverse on, drive off (unless I know I can turn round on it).

Gets worrying driving down fast roads and watching people try and reverse out of their drivewasys into traffic.

Reversing on to a main road is unlawful. Sadly few drives have the luxury of a turning space and it's rare to get an opportunity in heavy traffic to reverse onto your drive.