Our roads are lethal

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The snow from yesterday froze to sheet ice and this morning we have fresh snow over the top of it all!

This is the worst driving conditions I think i've ever known and I really need to get to the doctors today so I will probably end up walking! :eek:

I have to say the conditions down my way are worse than January this year. Driving is not as bad as most the drivers from January have decided to stay indoors so their are fewer cars and lorries abandoned. We even have a gritter lorry on its side on the A3 here this morning!

Thank god for 4wd! My usual 1 hour journey to work was only extended by 50 mins this morning, which I thought was good considering the roads and other drivers out there.

Why am I seeing owners driving their snow covered cars with barely a letter box to see through and you cannot even see their lights! I even saw one car with no side windows cleared! I got the broom and brushed most of mine off before I set off, including clearing the lights. It had around 9" drifted over it.

I fear tonight and tomorrow morning it will be much worse as the crushed snow will become ice and the second lane will be a no-go area, unlike this morning ;)

You boys need to get upto north Scotland. Last year was the worst I have known it, but this year is already worse than last. Bitterly cold, sheet ice under snow. It has been a steep learning curve the last week. Going from front wheel drive last year in snow, to a 4 wheel drive mad machine.

It does feel good when you hold a 4 wheel drift tho. :amuse:

roads around kent are getting bad

but see the gritter lorrys are saying its are fault that the roads are not being gritted and i will have to agree i have been out most of the day and poeple are leaving there cars in some very bad places

but then the m20 a 20 and a2 was not gritted last night or the night before cos they said the roads are to icey for the lorrys to go on

They (the roads) are getting a bit iffy. I'm still getting by but if this stuff carries on a bit then I'm going to fork out £400-500 on a set of 16" steel rims fitted with winter tyres. I can ill afford it at this point in time but it'll make the ultra low speed maneuvering a bit easier. Trying to reverse into a parking space with steep camber and gradient against me is proving a bit fiddly. Getting it out again is fine.

Strangely on the move the E39 is superb uphill in traction terms and it steers like it's glued to the road on vicious ice sheets. OK, I'm going very slowly of course.

If I could get the ABS programming altered so that it ignored the front wheels' sensors below 1-2mph then things would be simple.

They (the roads) are getting a bit iffy. I'm still getting by but if this stuff carries on a bit then I'm going to fork out £400-500 on a set of 16" steel rims fitted with winter tyres. I can ill afford it at this point in time but it'll make the ultra low speed maneuvering a bit easier. Trying to reverse into a parking space with steep camber and gradient against me is proving a bit fiddly. Getting it out again is fine.

Strangely on the move the E39 is superb uphill in traction terms and it steers like it's glued to the road on vicious ice sheets. OK, I'm going very slowly of course.

If I could get the ABS programming altered so that it ignored the front wheels' sensors below 1-2mph then things would be simple.

I have the same problem parking at night. Altho the guy opposite my house parks his car directly infrom of my drive, so parking in these conditions is starting to get hard. 4WD makes it a little easyer :amuse:.

Can you get the ABS sensors changed? That might be an idea to get mine done.

but then the m20 a 20 and a2 was not gritted last night or the night before cos they said the roads are to icey for the lorrys to go on

yup why should the gritters be put in a situation where it is dangerous for the drivers ?
and once the temps drop below -5 then the rocksalt isnt doing anything so uts more or less wasted.

heard the latest problem is - on minor road - the ploughs went over the top already and packed the snow down, but because the melting during the day it started to give way. My dad grounded the Subaru on Saturday because of this and took two hours to dig the bugger out.

Our snow all dissapeared on Saturday! The rain came, temps went up and it had all vanished by lunchtime!

It seems that more snow could be on the way though! Have you still got yours?

from what the old man said (as am in Vietnam at the moment and sweet didly squat chance of a festive shower out here) its not melting and the house is still hidden under a foot of snow just on the roofs, at ground level more likely 2ft. the A9 isnt even cleared properly yet, just 1.5 lanes

from what the old man said (as am in Vietnam at the moment and sweet didly squat chance of a festive shower out here) its not melting and the house is still hidden under a foot of snow just on the roofs, at ground level more likely 2ft. the A9 isnt even cleared properly yet, just 1.5 lanes

Still like this round my way.

started snowing here around 6is and it hasnt stopped, not big flakes but enough then again the tempreture was -11 when i left for work at half 5 this morning. and the highest temp i recorded at work was a whopping -4.

DS - M74, M73, M8 A9, A90 and i think A92 were all pretty much closed. bad crack when thats the main routes in scotland down. planes werent supposed to be going anywhere, rail were closed.

one of the wifes mates was going from Auchterarder to glasgow. 10 hrs to do 45 miles or there abouts

come across this the other day when we was out playing
must of took the corner to quick

DSC02776.jpg

No snow fall here in manchester today, but its bloody freezing. I think there is snow on the way tonight, not looking forward to getting in the car in the morning!

No snow here either and I think that'll make things worse. WE've all seen and dealt with the snow a few days back and now that the roads are bereft of snow we'll all carry on driving around like normal. Despite the fact that there's goona be sildey ice patches everywhere.

I'm stayin' home.

No snow fall here in manchester today, but its bloody freezing. I think there is snow on the way tonight, not looking forward to getting in the car in the morning!

can you let me know im down in Manchester thursday.

great fun around here, i had a dentist appointment at 11 today. left work at 10 to give myself enough time, its only ~13 miles form work. can was just about sideways several times and had to switch off ESP to get up a hill

and the good bit was the fact it was -9 at the time.
Weather-Freezing.gif
Weather-Freezing.gif

-9 down here today but no snow just ice everywhere!
and a little check you should always do after opening your car door. make sure the handle goes back;) had my door open on me today pulling out of my street quite an awakening experience:amazed:

We say -8 celcius through to 10am today. The landscape was pretty and very photogenic. Roads OK, completely dry so no ice problems.

Still had to start car 2-3 mins before setting off and scrape the side windows. F & R screens sorted themselves out.

The landscape was pretty and very photogenic. Roads OK, completely dry so no ice problems.

thats what im thinking of doing tomorrow, some stunning scenes, might even go into work to get pics of the frozen water that theyve been trying to defrost for over a week.

dont say about frozen pipes lol
the loo at work has been frozen all this week and last week
then saturday a pipe burst so turned the stopcok off

today i went to fix it all dont the bit that had gone turned the water back on and teh tap fell off the pipe water everywhere lol
so fixed it all now
got a bit of air line inplace of the whole pipe lol

yup that sounds like our bit, 4" lines that run from milk silo into the plant, were all frozen.
basically haveing to break the lines at every join and crank on the steam to melt and push out the solid ice. by the time your finishing one line its starting to refrezze at the other side

a toasty -14 here this morning lol