Nice car or nice house - CHOOSE

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which would you rather have a nice car or a nice house?

Assuming the £160k was given to you and you had to spend it on a house or a car (in one transaction) which would you go for?

If you lived in a smaller cheaper house it would mean more money could be spent on a car? Is that a sacrifice worth making?

Car i'd sleep in it.

That's one option I'd not considered.

We're not allowed to split the budget but perhaps if we were I'd consider a very large luxury touring caravan as living quarters, say £70k's worth. And then perhaps an AMG Mercedes Estate to use for transport and which would also quite happily drag 2 tons of 'van around when necessary.

Something of that order anyway. Even a 535d touring would be more than adequate.

Apparently people buy a car to give off the image and status they desire and wish to be seen as by thier peers, but thier house is actually thier status and image.
I guess this true in a lot of respects, Many people with nice cars on credit and live with thier parents or rent a room.
Me, A house without a shadow of a doubt. I bought some land one year, the same week a mate bought a new car, under 2 years later my land had tripled in value, his car had at least halved, 5 years later he sold his car at a 75% loss.

i would buy a house

i would never spend that much on a car unless it was pocket money

but would think about a rv then you can go touring

That's one option I'd not considered.

We're not allowed to split the budget but perhaps if we were I'd consider a very large luxury touring caravan as living quarters, say £70k's worth. And then perhaps an AMG Mercedes Estate to use for transport and which would also quite happily drag 2 tons of 'van around when necessary.

Something of that order anyway. Even a 535d touring would be more than adequate.

You are definitely the original Mr Practical! HDi :)

I think my £160k would have to go on a house! I too would love an all sing all dancing beast of a car, but my silly Mr Sensible head would stop me buying it :)

Bet you still don't get much of a house for £160,000 where you are either.

we looked at a 3 bed semi detached house. Attic could easily be converted to a decent "storage" room, 2 car drive - enough room for a garage and still get 2 cars on,and decent sized front and back gardens

£120k ended up going for around £110k

only downside is that it was a good 20 miles to the nearest big town.

£160k will get you a decent 3 bed semi around lockerbie

I think house prices will be crashing in my area after Pfizers closure but we'll wait and see. I too think I'd go with a house, I'd rather have an appreciating asset than a depreciating one. Plus the running costs on a house are probably lower than they would be for an exotic car.

Anyone with two brain cells would buy a house. Yeah, sure, you could go out and buy a 160K car but you could not drive it. The cost of insurance, service, tyres and what not.

Id buy a house in a nice area with a doubble garrage and a nice drive. Get a few around here for that money.

We already made this choice. We pushed ourselves to get the best house we could afford, near the school we wanted.

Plus at the moment, we are on a tracker mortgage and with the rates being what they are we are able to pay a fortune off the capital as the interest portion of our payment is so low. Using our spare cash on the mortgage is knocking years off the term and the thought of being able to be mortgage free a lot earlier than we first imagined is worth much more to me than a new car.

We already made this choice. We pushed ourselves to get the best house we could afford, near the school we wanted.

Plus at the moment, we are on a tracker mortgage and with the rates being what they are we are able to pay a fortune off the capital as the interest portion of our payment is so low. Using our spare cash on the mortgage is knocking years off the term and the thought of being able to be mortgage free a lot earlier than we first imagined is worth much more to me than a new car.

Only worth doing that if you intend living there for life. I know a few folk who did that, and when the came to sell, saw no benifit form doing it.

I know another guy who thought he had an awsom deel as he was just paying off the intrest! Wasn't untill I told him, he could do that for 25 years and still have the full value to pay! :p

We plan to stay in this house for a very long time yes. And even if we sell earlier I cant see any disadvantage to owing less on it? When interest rates are low it is better to pay off a mortgage than to put money in a savings account. Ours is the one account - basically the giant overdraft.

House(s) I have and mortgage free, thanks to hard work and some cleaver investments.
So that is taken care of.

Cars, I could never get enough of; after all a man is allowed atleast one flight of fancy, right?

So for me it would probably be a good 4X4 off-roader, A beamer, and a vintage 'Vette, in midnight blue, with all the trimmings.............. ;)

Any preference you have, if your choice was same as mine?

Lemme know please?............

;) :) :) :) :)

Anyone with two brain cells would buy a house. Yeah, sure, you could go out and buy a 160K car but you could not drive it. The cost of insurance, service, tyres and what not.
Not if you buy a very over priced Mondeo, maybe get a service and a full tank of fuel thrown in for free.

I think house prices will be crashing in my area after Pfizers closure but we'll wait and see. I too think I'd go with a house, I'd rather have an appreciating asset than a depreciating one. Plus the running costs on a house are probably lower than they would be for an exotic car.

Ah! Waynne! So I guess you are made then....

After the prices crash, get yourself the dream home of your choice, and stop worrying about the neighbours. 'Coz su casa La Casa! And then, in say, another 15 years time, when you are tired of the place, sell it and move to the dream surrounding you always dreamt of retiring in... And rest assured the value would have appreciated by then......

Thus you have no hassles of relocation now, and yet you get to be the King of The Castle.

Think about it..................

;) ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
has to be a house - although like HDI says i60k doesnt turn up much. A couple of years ago i bought a house and took out a 15yr mortgage i/o 25yr with an option to pay off an extra 10% a year (if i have the cash) so have sacrificed being able to upgrade the car recently and focused on this.

Ah! Waynne! So I guess you are made then....

After the prices crash, get yourself the dream home of your choice, and stop worrying about the neighbours. 'Coz su casa La Casa! And then, in say, another 15 years time, when you are tired of the place, sell it and move to the dream surrounding you always dreamt of retiring in... And rest assured the value would have appreciated by then......

Thus you have no hassles of relocation now, and yet you get to be the King of The Castle.

Think about it..................

;) ;) ;) ;)

That sounds like a plan.