Newb with thought out Volvo 240 + turbo question

whitravis

Car
'93 Volvo 245 B230f
Hello from USA (but ready to bail out!)

I have built my 93 Volvo 245 B240f with added turbo and much more - see below.
It has aftermarket ("custom"?) ECU and EZK chips from a guy in Sweden that are supposed to account for all the mods.

QUESTION: how to go from here to optimize function of my setup? Micro or Mega squirt are outside if time and money budget.

I have tach, boost meter and wideband AFM.
A. How to determine proper amount of boost?
B. Boost controller options?
C. How to determine correct pressure for adjustable FPR?THE CAR: This is to be my fast curvy mountain highway "charger." But not wanting to risk engine damage. Using E85 fuel, cheap in USA, all that maize we grow.

My first + turbo to a NAS car, have read a fair bit, mostly on that forum with the hostile old guys in USA, check them out if you feel the need for abuse and humbling

Briefly:
Stock B230f bottom end, piston squirters
MANUAL Ford Mustang HD 5-spd
Stage 2+ clutch, flat flywheel, lightened
Volvo 531 performance head, larger valves and Stage II porting by pro
Bosch green 42# injectors
Adjustable FPR, higher output fuel pump
KG2T cam from KG Trimning , Sweden: 10.5 11.9 300 114 "true turbo cam, awesome torque. A-intake, K-exhaust, Long duration
Hybrid 15g/19T turbo with high performance compressor wheel
Large Volvo intercoooler
3" exhaust from turbo all the way back
New catalytic with good flow

Wheel, tyre and suspension mods to handle above.

Advice appreciated.

Greetings from a fellow Volvo nut the United States. It seems you have noticed that not many people over here build high-performance Volvo‘s, especially old ones! I am 3/4 of the way through building a high-performance 2002V 70 XC. Currently all my time is devoted to the project; I will post pictures and information soon. Hoping for around 275 hp. Don’t give up, there’s some volvo forms out there with information. Remember the Volvo demographic: Old and responsible. Doesn’t mean you have to fit it!

Hi guys, I just wanted to drop in and welcome you to what I hope you'll find to be one of the friendliest forums around.

Do you have a rolling road, you can't beat seeing what the fuel and boost levels are doing live and tweaking them accordingly.

You could always use the O2 reading to show if the car is running lean or rich.

AEM and turbosmart do decent boost controllers - do you have a boost gauge installed, they can be very useful to help with setting everything up.

Don't get the fuel pressure maxed out, it can vary with temperatures, so aim for a highish but not max setting or you'll run into problems in those months where the air is warmer/cooler than your optimum setup.

Greetings from a fellow Volvo nut the United States. It seems you have noticed that not many people over here build high-performance Volvo‘s, especially old ones! I am 3/4 of the way through building a high-performance 2002V 70 XC. Currently all my time is devoted to the project; I will post pictures and information soon. Hoping for around 275 hp. Don’t give up, there’s some volvo forms out there with information. Remember the Volvo demographic: Old and responsible. Doesn’t mean you have to fit it!
Thanks Manic Mike-
I'm 64yo, but minus the attitude of some. I like my 240's, which were quite popular for +turbo and other mods in the 90s and 2000-oughts with lots of resources that were current back then. I'm late in that game, so info links and supplier lists are outdated.
Good luck with your build!
Hi guys, I just wanted to drop in and welcome you to what I hope you'll find to be one of the friendliest forums around.

Do you have a rolling road, you can't beat seeing what the fuel and boost levels are doing live and tweaking them accordingly.

You could always use the O2 reading to show if the car is running lean or rich.

AEM and turbosmart do decent boost controllers - do you have a boost gauge installed, they can be very useful to help with setting everything up.

Don't get the fuel pressure maxed out, it can vary with temperatures, so aim for a highish but not max setting or you'll run into problems in those months where the air is warmer/cooler than your optimum setup.
Thanks for info . Yes, of course, I have a wideband 02 sensor to adjust/monitor mixture. Local "dyno" or rolling road tuners don't seem interested dyno tuning without an aftermarket fully tunable engine management system. I'll look for one who'll just work with fueling and boost adustments then.

Cool. I like the 240's they are actually much lighter than a lot of modern cars, which means every bhp you add you will feel.

I went from a 164 to a 240; took a break and inherited a V70 X/C. I'm too old to to put in a stereo, that any 20 year old would die for and only an old guy could afford, and then modify a AWD station wagon into a stealthy race car, but I did it anyway! Check Volvospeed.com They love older Volvo's and seem to have a much younger crowd.. Hilton Tuning seems to be the best option for Volvo's here. I'll let you know how the $1,000.00 I sent him speeds up my car...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back