MX-5 NC v S2000, which is the better tuning project base ??

MX-5 NC v S2000, which is the better tuning project base ??

• MX5 NC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S2000

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

lsvag

Wrench Pro
Car
Toyota Starlet 1.3
i want to start a tuning project, but i am having trouble choosing between these 2, i want to know which has the best base, eg chassis, suspension layout etc, things that you can't just get from the aftermarket... the mx5 is lighter, has a more modern, stronger chassis/suspension, its cheaper... however, the s2000 looks better, it's already proven its tuning potential (Amuse S2000, J's Racing S2000), longer wheelbase (more stable), aftermarket parts are in abundance. what do you think ??

Maybe so but the Mx5 handles like a dream.
I suppose it depends on how much your willing to spend.
S2k's like most Honda's love to be thrashed and to go anywhere quickly you'll have to thrash it everywhere.
You could have just as much fun in either it just depends on how much you want to spend.

I know from people I talk to the MX5 is great for corners but everybody passes you on the straights due to the lack of power. I suppose the best way to decide is to test drive each.

power is not an issue because i plan to do an engine swap... suspension, brakes are all gunna be replaced... i just want to know what's a good base, which has the most potential.. which can handle 300+ hp better than other, and which can grip better than the other at the edge...

It is never that simple because cost always comes into it (even if people say it doesnt)

If funds are so easily available for all those power mods any chassis can be tweaked,

But fact is £££s always will be important and what you dont spend on an engine can go on the chassis.

IMHO the honda engine is light years better and some really serious figures can be got with a supercharger .
a further advantage is that this is very well documented which means less grief and therefore money so more money for the chassis.
Plus the power will be a lot more useable again this helps quick lap times.

It really isnt about "what handles best so I ll use that and stick 300hp through it"

Hi, The original performs of this car are well, on track or street, good braking, acceleration, grip, changing the engine changes the weights so you may compromise the seal and the behavior in a brake, one light and powerful engine is the RX7 TT, I can say that if you put one turbo you are over 300bhp and in this configuration this car is very fun and does not affect the overall behavior (if you want more power you have to change piston rods injectors...

i know its not as simple as "what handles best so I ll use that and stick 300hp through it"... and you are right about being able to tweak the chassis, but i dont plan to do too many major tweaks, only tweaks that you change back etc.. and no, i dont have the money to go overboard... i read somewhere that given a car, the suspension can only do so much, the chassis strength/rigidity determines how much that is..

The last is certainly true but you only need the chassis to handle the power you are going to have. Really you need to decide a budget and plan the mods accordingly
this is pretty much the opposite to what most do - mod something then something else and so on.

Power is nothing if you cant put it on the road and even less if it wont go round corners.

my best advice - whatever you want to do has been done before many times so source out this info and use other peoples experiences to your advantage.